Moderator Control Panel ]

Finding ancestors before 1837 Registrations / 1841 census

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Finding ancestors before 1837 Registrations / 1841 censu

Postby Simon45 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:08 am

Ok I see
It's bit of a minefield to find the correct line of ancestors :)

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Simon45

Postby ksouthall » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:10 am

Mick Loney wrote:...It often happens that there is more than one marriage involving the same surnames in the same area. A bit of extra detective work is then required to see which child goes with which couple, either censuses or christening records.

Yes, I have an instance of this in my family. Luckily the births of my direct ancestors were registered in Hitchin District whilst the indirect relatives were registered in Hatfield District. This was backed up by checking the censuses and available christening records plus wills and electoral rolls when the children were eligible.
ksouthall

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:50 am

Simon45 wrote:Ok I see
It's bit of a minefield to find the correct line of ancestors :)

Sometimes it's easier to just collect all data for that surname in that parish (or whatever) - then you can put it all together and see how it fits. It may seem a waste because you think you're not trying to trace the others but if you can only work out the shape of the families by looking at it all, then that's what you have to do. It's like making up a jigsaw - the post-1837 and census data give you some corners, say, and then you're trying to fit the other pieces together.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Previous

Return to General research queries