Moderator Control Panel ]

Fearne Cotton's episode

Discuss the 14th series of the award-winning television programme, which will feature Charles Dance, Clare Balding, Fearne Cotton and more

Fearne Cotton's episode

Postby Rosemary Collins » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:14 am

Hello everyone!

This week's episode of Who Do You Think You Are? is broadcast at 8pm on BBC One on Thursday 24 August - note the slightly earlier time. It follows TV presenter Fearne Cotton.

She begins with her Welsh great grandfather Evan Meredith, who began working as a coal miner at the age of 13 but ended up as a chemist. Evan never talked about what he did in the First World War, and Fearne decides to investigate.

As ever, please let us know what you thought of the episode in this thread!
Rosemary Collins
Editorial Assistant
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Re: Fearne Cotton's episode

Postby junkers » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:29 pm

I thought that this was good and interesting. I wasn't aware the Conscientious Objectors got charged twice, a tad unfair in my view, depending on your view. I didn't like the second part of the programme when the researcher just produces a chart.
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:56 pm

junkers wrote:... I wasn't aware the Conscientious Objectors got charged twice...

Me neither - I didn't quite understand what they were being charged with the 2nd time unless it was still refusing to go into uniform. Seems a bit (a lot!) unfair given that the war was over.

I rather liked the program - shows how we can't necessarily believe all we are told about people's qualifications!

They may have missed a trick (or not had the time to fit it in). William Gilmore resigned from his post on the SS Royal Charter in April 1859 to take up a job on land. I thought the ship's name sounded familiar, checked in Wikipedia and - his resignation might have saved his life, because on 26 October 1859, the Royal Charter was wrecked on the coast of Anglesey in a major storm, leading to the loss of some 450 lives - the highest death toll of any shipwreck on the Welsh Coast.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby carlineric » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:15 pm

AdrianB38 are you refering to William Gilmour being a doctor? He was slightly untruthful saying he was a MD, but he was actually a qualified doctor. He had gained his licence from the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons Glasgow in 1854 this was after he served an apprenticeship of around three to five years. This was glossed over in the episode leaving you thinking he was unqualified.
carlineric

Postby Tabithabenef » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:22 pm

It wasn't a bad episode - very little work done by Fearne herself.

I lost interest and the plot in the first half but thought the old boy she went to visit was very interesting.

I really enjoyed the 2nd half it was a lot more interesting.

Very surprised she didn't want to go back further - she was only interested in going forward.

I did notice they never mentioned her fathers father at all.
Tabithabenef

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:56 pm

carlineric wrote:AdrianB38 are you refering to William Gilmour being a doctor? He was slightly untruthful saying he was a MD, ... He had gained his licence from the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons Glasgow in 1854 this was after he served an apprenticeship of around three to five years.

Thanks for that - it was indeed unclear what, if any, qualification, he had. Plus the terms have been changed somewhat over the years. Again, lessons for us in trying to understand what X meant then compared to what it means now.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2017