Moderator Control Panel ]

Manchester to Massachusetts: Fletcher, Whittaker, Amos

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Manchester to Massachusetts: Fletcher, Whittaker, Amos

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:53 pm

I have a family of four in my tree and all of them have disappeared (at different times). I will begin with the daughter!

Elizabeth Ann Fletcher was born 16 Jul 1852, Hulme, Manchester, the daughter of William Fletcher and Harriet Hibbert. The family was living at 1 Ann Street. She was baptized 2 Aug 1852 at the Church of Christ, Hulme.

She married John Whittaker, son of Cornelius Whittaker, on 12 Feb 1871 at Manchester Cathedral. She was 18, John was 22 and he is listed as a grocer. Elizabeth address is given as 6 Watkins Street, Ardwick (Manchester). This is the only Elizabeth Ann Fletcher marriage to a John Whittaker (see second marriage below) I have found for the appropriate time period.

Elizabeth is with her mother (Harriet Hibbert Fletcher) in 1871, described as lodger’s daughter, married, in household of Joseph and Elizabeth Shenton in Hulme, but husband John Whittaker is not present. Her occupation is listed as winder.

In 1881 an Elizabeth Whittaker is listed in Oldham, widowed, as a boarding house keeper with daughters Emily and Rosamond. With her is a lodger, Luther Amos, a tailor/clothier, b. Little Gonerby/Gonerly. Elizabeth's birthplace is given as Manchester and the girls as Stalybridge and Middleton. Elizabeth is age 28. No sign of her husband John but it turns out she is not widowed.

Immigration records show the family left England from Liverpool on the Batavia on 21 May 1883. John is 41, Eliz. A. 37, Emle (sic) 10, and Rose (sic) 5. John is listed as a tailor, and all are born in England.

The U.S. census for 1890 is mostly missing and I could not find John or Elizabeth on the 1900. It does appear that John died before 1892 or Elizabeth commits bigamy for I found this:

Elizabeth married Luther Amos (remember the lodger from 1881 in Oldham?) 25 May 1892 in Lynn, Mass. but her parents are given as John and Martha Fletcher. I found no matching Elizabeth Ann Fletcher with parents of this name in England and only one marriage that fits to a John Whittaker, so even though the parents are incorrect, I feel I have the right Elizabeth Ann. Luther’s parents are listed as George and Matilda (this seems to be correct). Second marriage for both (Luther was married to Rebecca Huby in Manchester, 4th Q 1858 and is found with her in the 1861 census). Rebecca is living in Oldham in 1881 as well and in 1871 she is with her mother in Manchester. I believe the Rebecca Amos who died in 1890 in Oldham is Luther’s first wife.

Cannot find a death record or remarriage for Elizabeth Fletcher Whittaker Amos or Luther Amos.
Both daughters married in Massachusetts – Emily to Perley Skillings/Skellings and Rosamond to Edwin Foster. Both had families.
Would appreciate any help finding out what happened to Elizabeth Ann or John (Whittaker) or Luther Amos.
DianaCanada

Re: Manchester to Massachusetts: Fletcher, Whittaker, Amos

Postby KayFarndon » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:59 pm

Hello Diana. You have not given any dates for Luther Amos, but I have just looked at Genes Reunited and there are 6 Luther Amos men listed, one born Great Gonerby with a birth date of 1838. Do you think this might be your Luther?
KayFarndon

Postby MoVidger » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:17 pm

On Family Search, there are several death record(s) for Luther Amos:

Birth: 1843/1845 England
Death: 21 July 1897 Boston, MA
Buried: Lynn, MA
Parents: George A. and Maria Emery/Emory

One of the death records states he is a "widowed".
Last edited by MoVidger on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoVidger

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:32 pm

KayFarndon wrote:Hello Diana. You have not given any dates for Luther Amos, but I have just looked at Genes Reunited and there are 6 Luther Amos men listed, one born Great Gonerby with a birth date of 1838. Do you think this might be your Luther?

Kay, yes, this is the same Luther, although in reality he was born in Suffolk (I found a christening for him) probably in 1837 and by 1841 his parents have moved to Gonerby - I also found the probate for his father who was a Congregational minister and married twice, I had hoped to find Luther mentioned but it was George's second wife Maria who administered the estate. His first wife was Matilda.
I also found Luther's son Luther Jr. b. ca 1868, Clackheaton, Yorks., travelling to North America twice. No sign of him (or his wife Margaret) after that, it appears Luther Jr., was on a ship when the British 1911 census was taken. I couldn't find his wife Margaret in the 1911. I was hoping Luther was going over to see his father but I can't find Luther Sr. anywhere after his marriage to Elizabeth in 1892. I have checked under Ames as well, in case it was mistranscribed.
I had a thought after I posted the original query that when the family left England John Whittaker is listed as a tailor, though he was a grocer upon his marriage. Luther is variously listed as a draper, tailor, clothier. Wondering if he was travelling under John's name, and perhaps they heard later that John had died, they married (it was a civil marriage, so perhaps no one else even knew about it).
The other thing that is bothersome is that on her marriage to Luther Elizabeth gives John and Martha Fletcher as her parents but "my" Elizabeth is the daughter of William and Harriet Fletcher. As I said in the earlier post, the only Elizabeth Ann Fletcher marrying a John Whittaker is my relative and there she is with her mother Harriet Hibbert Fletcher in 1871. I couldn't find birth registrations for either of her daughters (Emily and Rosamund), either, so no hope there in seeing who was listed as their father.
I have also "lost" Elizabeth Ann's father, mother, and brother. I thought her mother might have gone to Massachusetts with them, but found nothing.
I realize this one is a real mess, but cling to the hope that since the two daughters remained in Massachusetts well after their mother married Luther, that she didn't go far.
DianaCanada

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:37 pm

MoVidger wrote:On Family Search, there are several death record(s) for Luther Amos:

Birth: 1843/1845 England
Death: 21 July 1897 Boston, MA
Buried: Lynn, MA
Parents: George A. and Maria Emery/Emory

One of the death records states he is a "widowed".

Thank you for this. Was his surname Emery/Emory or Amos? His father was George (and his stepmother was Maria - they lived in England) and am quite sure his mother was Matilda.
This would certainly fit for the place (Lynn) but the age is a bit off as well as the occupation.
DianaCanada

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:59 pm

DianaCanada wrote:
KayFarndon wrote:Hello Diana. You have not given any dates for Luther Amos, but I have just looked at Genes Reunited and there are 6 Luther Amos men listed, one born Great Gonerby with a birth date of 1838. Do you think this might be your Luther?

Kay, yes, this is the same Luther, although in reality he was born in Suffolk (I found a christening for him) probably in 1837 and by 1841 his parents have moved to Gonerby - I also found the probate for his father who was a Congregational minister and married twice, I had hoped to find Luther mentioned but it was George's second wife Maria who administered the estate. His first wife was Matilda.
I also found Luther's son Luther Jr. b. ca 1868, Clackheaton, Yorks., travelling to North America twice. No sign of him (or his wife Margaret) after that, it appears Luther Jr., was on a ship when the British 1911 census was taken. I couldn't find his wife Margaret in the 1911. I was hoping Luther was going over to see his father but I can't find Luther Sr. anywhere after his marriage to Elizabeth in 1892. I have checked under Ames as well, in case it was mistranscribed.
I had a thought after I posted the original query that when the family left England John Whittaker is listed as a tailor, though he was a grocer upon his marriage. Luther is variously listed as a draper, tailor, clothier. Wondering if he was travelling under John's name, and perhaps they heard later that John had died, they married (it was a civil marriage, so perhaps no one else even knew about it).
The other thing that is bothersome is that on her marriage to Luther Elizabeth gives John and Martha Fletcher as her parents but "my" Elizabeth is the daughter of William and Harriet Fletcher. As I said in the earlier post, the only Elizabeth Ann Fletcher marrying a John Whittaker is my relative and there she is with her mother Harriet Hibbert Fletcher in 1871. I couldn't find birth registrations for either of her daughters (Emily and Rosamund), either, so no hope there in seeing who was listed as their father.
I have also "lost" Elizabeth Ann's father, mother, and brother. I thought her mother might have gone to Massachusetts with them, but found nothing.
I realize this one is a real mess, but cling to the hope that since the two daughters remained in Massachusetts well after their mother married Luther, that she didn't go far.

Just adding that I have found a birth registration in Mar Q 1872 for Emily Whittaker with mother's maiden name Fletcher in the Ashton-under-Lyne district which includes Stalybridge which is given as her bp on the 1881 census.
DianaCanada

Postby MoVidger » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:02 pm

Death records name: Luther Amos
MoVidger

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:16 pm

MoVidger wrote:Death records name: Luther Amos

Thank you. I have just looked at the American censuses from 1880 and earlier and did not find a Luther Amos in Massachusetts or anywhere for that matter that matched for age, there are only a few by that name in the whole country.
I will dig around a bit and see if I can find out if his stepmother's maiden name was Emery. She married his father only a short time before he died as Maria Winstone, but of course she might have been widow herself.
DianaCanada

Postby MoVidger » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:34 pm

I haven't looked at all the 1897 death records for Luther, but as he was "widowed" when he died, someone unfamiliar with his parent's names could have registered the death. I have seen this happen a lot in my family's USA 19th-century death records. One record listed a sister-in-law's name, when it should've been the mother's maiden name. :roll:
MoVidger

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:43 pm

MoVidger wrote:I haven't looked at all the 1897 death records for Luther, but as he was "widowed" when he died, someone unfamiliar with his parent's names could have registered the death. I have seen this happen a lot in my family's USA 19th-century death records. One record listed a sister-in-law's name, when it should've been the mother's maiden name. :roll:

Yes, I agree. If Elizabeth was already dead, the daughters may have not known "all the facts".
I have looked around and found that his stepmother was born Maria Emily West ca 1837 in Islington, London, so much younger than his father. She first married James Winstone. The marriage to George in Barnet district in 1883 lasted a little over a year before Rev. George died. Maria went back to London and was living with a sister in 1891 and dies in Romford district in 1920, age 83. She has a probate record which lists a West as administrator.

Still working on Luther's actual mother, looks like she might have been Matilda Dove. A George Amos married her 16 Mar 1828 in Braintree, Essex. She is 40 in 1851 (a bit young but might have been lying about her age) born Subbury (Sudbury?), Suffolk. I will keep looking to see if there are any other George Amos/Matilda marriages around that time.

I will have a look for a death notice for George Amos in case it mentions any children.
DianaCanada

Next

Return to General research queries