Moderator Control Panel ]

Manchester to Massachusetts: Fletcher, Whittaker, Amos

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Manchester to Massachusetts: Fletcher, Whittaker, Amos

Postby DianaCanada » Mon May 28, 2018 3:50 pm

Elsa, appreciate all your work on this, but it is not Luther that I am looking for at this point, although adding info to his family tree is interesting too.
Still looking for a death record for Elizabeth Ann Fletcher Whitaker Amos and her first husband John Whittaker. I think she must have died in Massachusetts, but there are other possibilities, of course.

elsabels wrote:Found baptisms of children of George & Matilda AMOS

Name: Louisa Amos
Baptism Date: 25 Mar 1829
Baptism Place: Braintree, Essex, England

Name: Sarah Amos
Baptism Date: 27 Dec 1830
Baptism Place: Suffolk County Bts, Suffolk, England

Name: George Amos
Baptism Date: 9 Jun 1833
Baptism Place: Lavenham, Suffolk, England

Name: Calvin Amos
Birth Date: 27 Jun 1834
Birth Place: Lavenham, Suffolk,

Name: Luther Amos
Birth Date: 19 Feb 1837
Birth Place: Lavenham, Suffolk, England
DianaCanada

Postby DianaCanada » Mon May 28, 2018 7:00 pm

Ordered a couple of certificates for this family line which did help:
I had wondered what happened to Harriet Hibbert Fletcher, my great-gr. grandfather's sister and Elizabeth Ann's mother. I took a chance and ordered a death certificate for Oldham and sure enough, although she spent most of her life in Hulme, she died in Oldham. She d. 21 Jan 1876 at 4 Bridgeoake Square, age 51, of apoplexy. She is described as the widow of William Fletcher, deceased, a Mackintosh worker (!). I need to look for William's death now, but last sighting was when he married Harriet.
The informant was Elizabeth Ann Whittaker, daughter, present at the death.

I also purchased a birth certificate for Emily Whittaker, daughter of Elizabeth Ann (Fletcher) and John Whittaker. Although she later appears as Emily Isabella, she was registered with no middle name, b. 25 Dec 1872, Acres Lane, Stayley, county of Cheshire. Registered by mother, Elizabeth Ann Whittaker, formerly Fletcher. Father John listed as a grocer.

I ordered a birth certificate for Rosamund Whittaker, her sister, but turned out not to me "my" Rosamund. Strangely, there are few of them at all, and this one seemed to "fit" but alas.
The fact that Emily was registered but Rosamund was not, could be a number of reasons, but perhaps she was Luther Amos' child and not John's.
DianaCanada

Postby DianaCanada » Mon May 28, 2018 7:07 pm

elsabels wrote:
She married John Whittaker, son of Cornelius Whittaker, on 12 Feb 1871 at Manchester Cathedral. She was 18, John was 22 and he is listed as a grocer. Elizabeth address is given as 6 Watkins Street, Ardwick (Manchester). This is the only Elizabeth Ann Fletcher marriage to a John Whittaker (see second marriage below) I have found for the appropriate time period.

Elizabeth is with her mother (Harriet Hibbert Fletcher) in 1871, described as lodger’s daughter, married, in household of Joseph and Elizabeth Shenton in Hulme, but husband John Whittaker is not present. Her occupation is listed as winder.

On the marriage certificate John Whittaker's father is listed as Cornelius WHITTAKER station master

Name: John Whittaker
Birth Date: 21 Nov 1848
Birth Place: Lowton, Lancashire, England
Baptism Date: 25 Dec 1848
Baptism Place: Lowton, Lancashire, England
Father: Cornelius Whittaker
Mother: Anne

There is a Cornelius Whittaker b 1821 Lowton Lancs with a 12 son b Lowton Lancs
1861 Turnpike Road Lowton Leigh
RG 9; Piece: 2799; Folio: 73; Page: 3

1871 Canterbury Barracks
RG10; Piece: 970; Folio: 56; Page: 7;
John b Whittaker 23 unm Trumpeter Lancs

1881 14 and 16 Springfield Liverpool
RG11; Piece: 3633; Folio: 45; Page: 22;
John Whittaker 32 unm Lodger B Lowton Lancs

66 Hyde Road is the Bird in Hand RG10 4078 32

Elsa, your two references to John in the 1871 and 1881 censuses are intriguing. A question - if he was in the army when he married Elizabeth Ann 12 Feb 1871 would the marriage certificate include that? Or could he have joined up immediately after? I have no idea how long it would have taken for him to join up and actually become a soldier.
The 1881 certainly looks promising. Certainly a possibility that he and Elizabeth Ann had agreed to live apart by that point.
Yet there is that ship's passenger list that includes John to the USA a few years later...more and more possibility that it was actually Luther.
DianaCanada

Postby elsabels » Tue May 29, 2018 8:57 pm

Looking at your FLETCHER family
There are 2 marriages at St Mary Eccles

1) Harriett HIBBERT to William Fletcher 15 Oct 1848 witnesses Charles Fletcher & Sarah Ashworth

2) Elizabeth Williams to Charles Fletcher 1849 witnesses William Fletcher & Ann Fletcher

Father John Fletcher is desc as a white smith / Black smith
William as a striker
Charles blacksmith all within the same trade group

1841 HO107; Piece: 583; Book: 15; Civil Parish: Manchester; County: Lancashire; Enumeration District: 26; Folio: 3; Page: 1; Line: 10;
Holgate Street Hulme
John Fletcher 45 smith
Sarah Fletcher 45
Thomas Fletcher 20 smith
Alfred Fletcher 15 smith
William Fletcher 15 smith
Sarah Fletcher 14
Charles Fletcher 12
Isabella Fletcher 7
Mary Fletcher 3

There is a burial for a William Fletcher aged 33 of 18 Eagle Street Hulme bu 20 December 1857 at St George, Didsbury he died from inflammation of the bowel
elsabels

Postby StevePat » Tue May 29, 2018 9:11 pm

Ann was indeed a Johnson and young Arthur became my gt grandfather. John Ryder did in fact have a cousin who gave birth to an Elizabeth Ann Fletcher, but, alas, a different one, born in Bolton in 1864.
StevePat

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:31 am

elsabels wrote:Looking at your FLETCHER family
There are 2 marriages at St Mary Eccles

1) Harriett HIBBERT to William Fletcher 15 Oct 1848 witnesses Charles Fletcher & Sarah Ashworth

2) Elizabeth Williams to Charles Fletcher 1849 witnesses William Fletcher & Ann Fletcher

Father John Fletcher is desc as a white smith / Black smith
William as a striker
Charles blacksmith all within the same trade group

1841 HO107; Piece: 583; Book: 15; Civil Parish: Manchester; County: Lancashire; Enumeration District: 26; Folio: 3; Page: 1; Line: 10;
Holgate Street Hulme
John Fletcher 45 smith
Sarah Fletcher 45
Thomas Fletcher 20 smith
Alfred Fletcher 15 smith
William Fletcher 15 smith
Sarah Fletcher 14
Charles Fletcher 12
Isabella Fletcher 7
Mary Fletcher 3

There is a burial for a William Fletcher aged 33 of 18 Eagle Street Hulme bu 20 December 1857 at St George, Didsbury he died from inflammation of the bowel

Thank you for finding this burial! Going to do some digging, but looks promising.
DianaCanada

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:35 am

StevePat wrote:Ann was indeed a Johnson and young Arthur became my gt grandfather. John Ryder did in fact have a cousin who gave birth to an Elizabeth Ann Fletcher, but, alas, a different one, born in Bolton in 1864.

An amazing coincidence!
DianaCanada

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:39 am

I have found who might be William and Harriet's two sons, born in 1854 (Edwin) and Thomas (1857). I will look for their baptisms and see if I can match the address mentioned in William's burial. Failing that, I will order Thomas' birth certificate.

I have found their burials on Ancestry. Both children died after William referenced by Elsabells above. No mention that their father was deceased but that might not mean he wasn't. Parents named as William and Harriet, two different addresses, both Hulme, but neither at Eagle street where William died.
DianaCanada

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:16 am

I have found Thomas' baptism on FMP. They were living on Thomas Street, so no luck there, think my best bet is to order William's death and hope Harriet is the informant.
DianaCanada

Previous

Return to General research queries