Moderator Control Panel ]

Brick Wall Thomas Ford

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Brick Wall Thomas Ford

Postby KirstyGroom » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:31 pm

I have been researching and looking for my 2x great grandad Thomas Ford - I am able to track him once he marries his wife Mary Jane Mellor - but before this i hit a brick wall

We literally know the bare minimum about him, I have his marriage certificate and states that his father was john Ford and a horse dealer

Thomas' date of birth is roughly about 1856 and he was born in Leeds (according to the 1911 census)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
KirstyGroom

Re: Brick Wall Thomas Ford

Postby sdup26 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:44 pm

In the censuses from 1891-1911, Thomas is consistent in saying he was born in Leeds, Yorkshire, 1859/1860. Which unfortunately doesn't help! I've found a couple of young Thomas's living with a father called John, but birth dates, place of birth, and father's occupation don't fit.
The only Thomas Ford birth entry I can find in Leeds is Dec Q 1856, Leeds 9b 350, but there's no mother's maiden name given, suggesting that Ford was her own surname. So she probably wasn't married to Thomas's father when the birth was registered. Maybe she told Thomas his father was John, a horse dealer, or Thomas could have invented him for his marriage certificate. It might be worth sending for the birth certificate, if only to get the mother's full name, which might help in searching for Thomas as a child.
sdup26

Re: Brick Wall Thomas Ford

Postby KirstyGroom » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:14 pm

Ah ok I've looked into the family you have seen with john Ford and Bridget Ford - and tracked them through the censuses but his job doesn't coincide - i might have to get his birth certificate and see what happens

Thank you for replying to my message

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
KirstyGroom

Return to General research queries