Moderator Control Panel ]

New Genealogist

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

New Genealogist

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi everyone,I have a friend who is about to embark on doing his family tree. I have been doing mine for some time. I have always used Scotlands people as my ancestors are all scottish,with a sprinkling of FS.My friends family are from Northants,Derbyshire and Staffs.What would be the best site for him?I have no experience of other sites. I would appreciate some feedback.
Thanks
Grace
Amazinggrace

Re: New Genealogist

Postby coopernicola » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:03 pm

To start definitely go and chat to any living elderly relatives asap! Put together a potential tree and make a plan to follow lines further back. With luck once family knowledge reaches back to 1911 Census documents can be used. The new GRO search facility helps with mothers maiden name listed to pin down family groups.
Check out FutureLearn they've just run the University of Strathclyde Genealogy course - it's six weeks, really good & free :)
Depending on where they live a visit to a local archive is always very worthwhile, the staff are usually most helpful.
For home searching try Family Search, it's very good for a variety of material and free to use. For subscription sites I would suggest a free trial of FMP & Ancestry (remember to stop automatic renewal). That way your friend can decide which they prefer. Look out for free or cheap monthly packages for British Newspaper Archive.
coopernicola

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:50 pm

For stuff back to 1837, either Ancestry or FindMyPast will do as they both have BMDs and censuses.

Any Army stuff is a bit more problematic - some stuff is on both, some on only one.

For parish records (the only way, as you'll know, of proceeding back past the start of civil registration), images for each county are on one or neither of the big two sites.

Staffordshire, I know, is on FindMyPast with images.

I'm not sure if Derbyshire is anywhere - Ancestry has "Derbyshire, England, Select Church of England Parish Registers, 1538-1910" but the clue there is that word "Select". "Select" always(?) means that it's a copy of the index only (no images) from FamilySearch - which is free to access directly, of course, but seldom has images of the records.

Northants seems to be on Ancestry with images, but how much of it is there, I don't know.

One possibility would be to alternate subscriptions when it comes to the parish records - 6m on FMP, 6m on Ancestry...

One thing that you might not realise though, Grace. In England & Wales, the parish registers carry on past the start of civil registration - unlike the Scottish situation where SP has "Old Parish Registers" and I've never seen anything of "New Parish Registers"! That means that if a marriage takes place in a church after 1837, you don't need to send for a GRO certificate if you can see it on your subs to Ancestry or FMP.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Amazinggrace » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:14 pm

Thanks both of you for that.My friend is severely disabled and housebound.I will help him as much as
i can but think it is something he's very keen to do and will help him.I have gathered together the WDYTYA magazines with the relevant counties details in. He has asked that I e-mail them to him as he cannot hold documents very well.
Thanks again
Grace :D
Amazinggrace

Postby Swadgirl » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:26 am

I originally come from South Derbyshire. Depending upon what part of DBY your friend's family comes from you'll often be searching in one or more counties. Many South Derbyshire records are in Staffordshire, for example. The Staffordshire collection on FMP is good. Also suggest you check Genuki as this helps with parish info. It's best to keep an open mind and be flexible in your searches if the family is located on or near a county boundary.
Swadgirl

Postby Amazinggrace » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:39 pm

Thanks Swadgirl,I am going to see him on Tues and will let him know all the info.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Return to Genealogy chat