Moderator Control Panel ]

HM Naval Dockyard personnel in WWII

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

HM Naval Dockyard personnel in WWII

Postby Nickwoodwardsmith » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:04 pm

Hi,
I am trying to understand where my father's personnel records for 1942-1945 might be found. He qualified as an architect, aged 24, in December 1939 (ARCUK) and by 1943 I know he was working in Kilindini Harbour Dockyard, Mombassa, Kenya. I have his duty pass dated 11 February 1943 and his permit to enter the Commercial Dock, Naval Dockyard, Mombassa, dated December 1944. I also have a certification that "although not required to wear uniform, Mr JVG Smith is an Admiralty Officer, who is on official duty from the United Kingdom. He is entitled to the privileges normally accorded to such officers."
I have no idea what sort of work he was doing - but assume that it may have been to help design the enlargement of the Naval Dockyard facilities. I also don't know who he was 'employed' by, in that the Royal Navy Personnel Records have no mention of him.
What happened to the records of civilian non-combatants who were part of the war effort, but not directly in the military, and how can I track what he did and when?
Nickwoodwardsmith

Re: HM Naval Dockyard personnel in WWII

Postby peter kent » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:43 pm

He may have been a civil servant - that would allow him to be described as an "Admiralty officer".

Try the War Office lists although these are mainly contain high-ranking officials. The National Archives have a good run of these.

Also try the London Gazette for a mention of promotion or posting.

Try searching the National Archives catalogue for, say, Kilindini, restricting the search to class ADM and see if there's anything that looks helpful.

Presumably you have any relevant BDM certificates which state his occupation at the time.

The chances of finding any civil servants' staff records are pretty low.
peter kent

Postby Nickwoodwardsmith » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Thank you that is most helpful.
BDM - not sure what that stands for? Could he have been 'on loan' from the Ministry of Works? On his return from East Africa, in Aug 1945, he went on to work on the bomb damage repair of the Houses of Parliament.
Once again thanks for further places to look.
Nickwoodwardsmith

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:02 pm

BDM - Births, Deaths and Marriages

Have you followed up any professional qualifications that he had? Institute of British Architects? Institute of Civil Engineers? One of my lot, rather earlier, applied for membership of the ICE and his application (on Ancestry) had quite a bit of detail about his work up to that point as a necessary part of the application.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Nickwoodwardsmith » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:12 pm

Unfortunately he did not believe in RIBA, so was only registered in those days through ARCUK. They do not have any records beyond Gazette mention of his registration as an architect. His 1939 Census entry says Municipal Architect, working at that point for ARP Section of Stepney Borough Council.
Of course - BDM!!! I knew that!! Brain fog!
Nickwoodwardsmith

Return to Military help