Moderator Control Panel ]

military hospitals ww1

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

military hospitals ww1

Postby amck » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:48 am

my friend's Grandfather died in 1924 in a military hospital in Liverpool as a result of wounds received during ww1, but I don't know where the hospitals were in Liverpool that were still in use so long after the end of the war. Any help?
amck

Re: military hospitals ww1

Postby brunes08 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:45 am

If you google '1WW military hospitals Liverpool' lots of sites come up that would probably help you. However, does your friend have the death certificate? My great uncle died in a military hospital which is clearly identified on his death certificate.
brunes08

Re: military hospitals ww1

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:12 am

I've just looked at one of the links on http://www.1914-1918.net/hospitals_uk.htm and I have to say that I had no idea how many military hospitals there were, particularly in the London area. So, an interesting query.

Two points:
1. Don't take the search suggestion too literally - putting "1WW" inside the quotes is a bad idea as it will make Google look for exactly that phrase and "1WW" is a recent abbreviation - websites are more likely to refer to "First World War" in full or "WW1".

2. The death certificate is definitely the way to go. However, sometimes the addresses used are not immediately meaningful and you may need to do a bit of work to establish which hospital it is from the street address. (This particularly happens with hospitals that were on the sites of workhouses - to what extent it happens with other hospitals, I don't know but I'd be wary of it).

The other thing that you might find is that the "military hospital" of family memory, might just be a dedicated part of a general hospital, particularly, as you say, by this time. This might not be clear from the hospital name or address, so the family memory might be 99% correct even though it's not obvious. A little research into the hospital's history might be needed.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Military help