Moderator Control Panel ]

Catherine Bigley

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Catherine Bigley

Postby Tobina » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:01 pm

My husband's ancestor Catherine Bigley was a carter in Liverpool &!died in 1867. After her death all her property was sold, including 30 horses, carts,stables plus her house & contents. As she had 3 sons who went on to be carters I wonder why everything was sold? Also although I can find a probate record & notice of the auction I can find no will. Any suggestions as to how I can find the will would be gratefully received,I have tried the government site to no avail.
Thanks.
Tobina

Re: Catherine Bigley

Postby brunes08 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:05 pm

I looked at the entry for the will on the govt website. It definitely says the will had been proved. You could try contacting the archives in Liverpool or the County Record Office. I have been able to obtain several copies of wills in this way. It is intriguing about the possible reasons for the sale of the business. No doubt the will would explain why.
brunes08

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:47 pm

I must be missing something...

The probate entry is there on the GOV.UK site. (Search for surname Bigley, year of death 1867 and it's on the 5th page though whether everyone will see the pages in the same order, I don't know).

So if you send for the will through the GOV.UK site, then they should be able to produce it.

Are you saying that they can't find it? Or that you couldn't see the probate calendar entry on the GOV.UK site? (It is sometimes a bit obscure).

As for why it was all sold off, hopefully the will can suggest why, but it may be that there were some cash bequests that couldn't easily be met without selling off all or part of the business. Or if the three sons already had their own businesses, maybe they didn't want to take on hers, and so selling it was the easiest way to divide it by three. Or any combination of the above...
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby trace » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:03 pm

In the newspaper advertising the sale it says

instructed by the executors

The executor was Samuel Ashcroft, and he using "An Act to further amend the law of property and to relieve Trustees"

Will proved at Liverpool 19 Dec 1867.
trace

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Yes, that matches the info on the probate calendar entry on the GOV.UK site. "Samuel Ashcroft of 72 Kirkdale road, Liverpool ... Corn and Provender Dealer the sole Executor".

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Tobina » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:50 am

Thanks for the help I will follow up on the suggestions.
Tobina
Tobina

Return to General research queries