Moderator Control Panel ]

My third great grandmother (Susannah) married Joseph Fawkes

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

My third great grandmother (Susannah) married Joseph Fawkes

Postby pforkes » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:06 pm

My great, great, great grandfather was William Fawkes, who was born about 1789 in Dudley, Staffordshire.

He was christened on 24th January, 1790 at Saint Thomas' church in Dudley, Staffordshire.

He married "Susannah" (this is who I am interested in) and they had their first child (that I know of) in 1811. She was Martha Fawkes and she was born in Dudley.

Susannah was born about 1790 in Broseley, Shropshire and she died on 9th April, 1854 in Dudley, Staffordshire.

As I said earlier, it is Susannah that I am interested in. I would like to know is:

* what was her maiden surname?
* when (and where) did she marry Joseph Fawkes?
* when was she born?

As I now live in Las Vegas, is is not as easy for me as just drop by and look for records, so I will need to start ordering microfiches from my local Family History Center.

Which records should I see about ordering?

Thanks,

Peter
pforkes

Re: My third great grandmother (Susannah) married Joseph Faw

Postby sdup26 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:52 pm

Gayton, Northants 1809. "Banns between Joseph Fawkes, widower of the parish of Blisworth, Northamptonshire, and Susannah Robertson of this parish, widow, were published (dates follow) and no impediment alleged. Married 4th April 1809, both signed."
Doesn't give their ages unfortunately, but it's on ancestry if you want to check it for yourself.
sdup26

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:13 pm

Did Susannah marry Joseph or William?

If Joseph, then Dudley and Gayton, Northants, don't immediately go together. Further, Ancestry suggests several baptisms to a couple or couples of this name (such as Elizabeth, 1819, Worcester; Zachariah, 1821, Dudley; Jane, 1829, Dudley; Richard, 1834 Dudley - this isn't intended to be a full list)

This is a lengthy time period to be the couple who married 1809 and covers more than one place.

And just to make life interesting, FindMyPast has this baptism:
First name(s) Daniel
Last name Fowkes
Baptism date 01 Mar 1807
Place Tamworth
County Staffordshire
Father's first name(s) Joseph
Father's last name Fowkes
Mother's first name(s) Susanna

Which seems early for Joseph - or is it William?

I would, however, make one suggestion that links the places mentioned - and that's canals - Blisworth, Dudley, Worcester, are all on the canals, but you'd need to check the guy's occupation.

This could all be nonsense if I've misunderstood who married who....
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ksouthall » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:51 pm

sdup26 wrote:Gayton, Northants 1809. "Banns between Joseph Fawkes, widower of the parish of Blisworth, Northamptonshire, and Susannah Robertson of this parish, widow, were published (dates follow) and no impediment alleged. Married 4th April 1809, both signed."

If this is the correct marriage, then you would need to try and find Susannah's marriage to Mr Robertson, in order to find out her maiden name.
ksouthall

Postby JaneyH » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:28 am

Just an observation here. The 1809 marriage in Gayton indicates that both Joseph and Susanna had been married before (shown as widower and widow on the banns). If these are the same people you have baptisms for in 1790 it would make them aged 19 or 20 on remarriage, which strikes me as a bit young. Not impossible, just unusual.

Marriage between parties aged under 21 would have needed parental consent at this time (assuming they didn't mislead the vicar as to their ages ...)

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby sdup26 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:18 pm

http://www.freereg.org.uk has a birth for Martha Fawkes in Dudley, parents Joseph and Susanna, 11/8/1811 Dudley St Thomas, Worcestershire, and there are Dudley St Thomas burials for a Joseph Fawkes in 1853 aged 67 (born c 1786) and Susanna Fawkes in 1854 aged 65 (b c 1789).
sdup26

Postby pforkes » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:03 pm

Gayton, Northants 1809. "Banns between Joseph Fawkes, widower of the parish of Blisworth, Northamptonshire, and Susannah Robertson of this parish, widow, were published (dates follow) and no impediment alleged. Married 4th April 1809, both signed."

I do not believe that this is the right couple (I have been looking at this for the last few days). yes, they have the right names, but I do not believe that they are my ancestors.

Thank you for looking, however.

Peter
pforkes

Postby Usignuolo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:15 am

As you can see from your own spelling, the surname Fawkes has taken many forms over the years. Not just Fawkes as in Guy Fawkes but also Faulkes, Fowkes and even Vaux (as this was the original spelling, the others are phonetic variations.) So it might be worth trying several variations on the spelling.
Usignuolo

Postby jimbo50 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:07 pm

Hello Peter.
Your opening post is confusing.
Perhaps I am missing something.
You say your ancestor is William, who married Susannah in 1811
You then ask 'when did Susannah marry Joseph ?'
How do you know she did ?
Jim
jimbo50

Postby rooftoproy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi,
Working backwards with your information:
Susannah Fawkes' death index is recorded as June Quarter 1854 (General Register Office Dudley 6c 32)
The 1851 Census shows the family living in Snow Hill, Dudley ( spelling Susanah Fawkes).
Susannah is shown born Broseley, Shropshire. Married to Joseph Fawkes. She died on 9th April 1854 in Dudley and was buried there on 12th April, 1854.
Martha Fawkes was baptised on 11th August 1811 in St Thomas Parish Church, Dudley (known locally as 'Top Church') - Father/Mother shown as Joseph/Susannah.
The only marriage I can find is Joseph Fawkes to a Susanna Roberson, although that may be Robertson, in Gayton, Northamptonshire on 4th April, 1809.
Hope that helps.
Will see if I can find a burial reference and update if found.
Regards,
Roy Hayward
rooftoproy

Next

Return to General research queries