Moderator Control Panel ]

My third great grandmother (Susannah) married Joseph Fawkes

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: My third great grandmother (Susannah) married Joseph Faw

Postby rooftoproy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:55 pm

Hi Peter,
Continuing my previous post reply, like you I feel that the distances involved to get to Gaydon in the 1800's make it less likely that that is the correct marriage. Again, as other replies have indicated, the likelihood of spelling mistakes in the surname also now come into play.
As such I tried searching without surname and came up with the following:
Joseph Hawkes married to Susannah Jones on 5th November 1809 at St Mary's Church in Kingswinford, Staffordshire. Kingswinford is just 4 miles to the west of Dudley and both date of marriage and location links with the birth of their first child Martha and her baptism in St Thomas' Parish Church Dudley on 11th August, 1811. In addition, a Susannah Jones was baptised in Broseley, Shropshire on 2nd May 1791 - close enough to an estimated birth date of 1790 on the census returns. Susannah's mother is shown as Jane Jones but with no father entered. Broseley is a further 14 miles west of Kingswinford so migration to the industries of the 'Black Country' from this area is very likely.
Nothing concrete here at all but gives the opportunity for further investigation?
Hope the above is of interest.
Kind regards,
Roy
rooftoproy

Postby pforkes » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:54 pm

Wow! Thank you for your time and effort. I think that you may have struck gold here. You have certainly given me something to look into.

Again, thank you!
pforkes

Postby rooftoproy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi Peter,

No problem, living in Sedgley I have a main interest in the Dudley area, especially associated with the various churches in Dudley and the Kate's Hill area ( my wife's family came from Kate's Hill).

With an apparent lack of 1841 census info on 'Fawkes' family trees on 'Ancestry' I had a look further:
Joseph & Susannah can be found on the 1841 Census under the surname 'Fox' again living in Snow Hill Dudley as on the 1851 census, with their daughter Martha, now Pearson (having married James Pearson on 30th June 1828 in St Thomas' Parish Church).
On the 1841 census William 'Forks' now married to Jane Eccleshall is living in the Freebodies area of Dudley (Kate's Hill) with their 3 children - they can be found on the following census returns under the variations of surname as 1841 "Forks', 1851 "Forkes", 1861 "Fawkes", 1871 "Fakes" widow and 1881 "Parkes" widow.
Elizabeth married Samuel Phipps and appears on the 1841 census as "Fipps'.
Isaiah and Jane are on the 1841 census with their parents as above.
Zachariah is in prison on the 1841 census in Worcester gaol having been sentenced to 3 months imprisonment for an assault in Dudley - occupation given as 'miner'. He married Mary Brown in the first quarter of 1845 in St Martin's (Pepper Box) church in Tipton. Unfortunately he died in first quarter of 1847 in Dudley ( "Faux" ) just before the birth of their daughter Jane ( born 18th May 1847 and baptised 6th June 1847).
It would appear that Isaiah went on to marry Diana Attwood on 29th December 1851 and died 28th September, 1889.
Haven't found references to Richard other than the baptism in St Thomas on 10th August, 1834.

'Snow Hill' Dudley, in the St James' Ward (Parish), identified on the 1904 maps of Dudley, was a section of what is now 'Wellington Street' in Dudley.

Don't know how much of that you've already uncovered but I hope it's of additional interest.

Kind regards,

Roy
rooftoproy

Postby pforkes » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:52 pm

Again, thank you of royal time and effort. You have verified (independently) a great deal of my research, so thank you.

I have few points, however:

1. I cannot find Joseph and Susannah Fox in the 1841 census. I am using Ancestry. What site are you using and what search criteria are they showing up with?

2. William Forkes married Jane Eccleshaw and up until the 1861 census he is working as a “carter” at the iron works. On his death certificate of 3rd January 1870, his occupation is given as “green grocer” (that is quite a change in profession!). However, in the 1871 census, his widow is shown as a ‘fruiteer”; on the 1881 census her occupation is “no occupation”. So, I have sent off for her death certificate. It will arrive in about four weeks (as the US Postal Service takes anything from 21 to 84 days to get mail to me!!!!)

3. Elizabeth Fawkes and Samuel Phipps appear to have had 9 children between in 1837 and 1855. So far I have only searched for children with the surname “Phipps” (and alternatives, with a mother’s maiden name of “Fawkes” (and alternatives) born in Dudley.
pforkes

Postby rooftoproy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:49 am

Hi Peter,
I'm using 'Ancestry' amongst other subscriptions as well. On 'Ancestry' just inputting 'Joseph Fox' born 1789 in Dudley brings up a list of alternatives. Obviously with ages for older members of a household being rounded to 5 years on the 1841 census there is some allowance on ages, however, the 3rd option in the list is "Joseph Fox, born about 1790 Worcestershire, Residence Dudley, Dudley, Worcestershire, England" - should bring up Joseph, Susannah, Isaiah, Jane, Martha Pearson and her children, James and Isaac.
Quick check of children to Samuel Phipps & Elizabeth:
Susannah Elizabeth Phipps bap. 27/8/1837
Joseph Phipps bap 3/11/1839, died 31/01/1841
Isaiah "Phibbs" bap 26/12/1841
John Phipps bap 25/2/1844. died 12/12/1844
Martha Phipps bap 25/1/1846
Zachariah Fowkes Phipps bap 2/9/1848
William"Phibs" bap 16/2/1851
Would probably need to go through the actual Parish records to find any remaining children.

As regards, Jane Eccleshaw/Eccleshall - found potential mis-transcriptions so without a marriage date located I used a different spelling to that which you have. Their address in Earl Street in Dudley 1861-1881 census returns is again the' Kate's Hill' area I know well.

Pleased the information was useful to you.

Kind regards,

Roy
rooftoproy

Previous

Return to General research queries