Moderator Control Panel ]

Probate Office

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Probate Office

Postby suecol » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:05 pm

I have recently found an entry in the Probate Index for 1952 and am puzzled because the grant was awarded at the London Probate Office when the deceased lived near Swansea. Is there any significance in why the London office was used as opposed to one in Wales?
Suecol
suecol

Re: Probate Office

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:21 pm

Similar things happen all the time. My guess would be that the majority of probate cases were handled through solicitors appointed by the executor(s) - or perhaps more accurately, the executor(s)-to-be.

The decision as to which Probate Registry to use is then down to the solicitor concerned. Maybe turn-round was faster via London - because there'd probably be a batch to do. Maybe they were at law school with one of the guys in the London office. All sorts of reasons might apply - there may well be more practical and realistic reasons than my concoctions, but in essence my belief is that it's down to the solicitors.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Probate Office

Postby brunes08 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:24 pm

I go along with what AdrianB38 says. My father died in Cornwall but probate was granted in Bristol. Similarly, my brother died in London but probate was in Newcastle - his executor lived in Yorkshire. It all seems to depend on a range of circumstances.
brunes08

Postby junkers » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:32 pm

London also dealt with issues that were not covered just in a locality and complications. My father died in Kent but his probate was in Ipswich, not Croydon as I expected, it might be something to do with workloads.
junkers

Postby Amazinggrace » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:15 pm

I'm with Brunes too. My husband had to do probate for my father in law. He lived in Sussex, my husband had to deal with Leeds.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Return to General research queries