Moderator Control Panel ]

Bedfordshire Regiment

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Bedfordshire Regiment

Postby karenbarber » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:54 pm

Fullscreen capture 6232017 102843 PM.bmp.jpg
William and James Burgess, 1799
Fullscreen capture 6232017 102843 PM.bmp.jpg (644.38 KiB) Viewed 963 times

The attached file is copied from a register page for the 14th Foot soldiers, 1st Battallion, also called the Bedfordshire Regiment. Earlier pages identify it as written 31 July 1799 at Fort George in Martinique.

I believe that the man identified as William Burgess may be my 4th great-grandfather. The family stories say that he was from Ireland and was a taylor for the British army and was sent with his wife and one or more children to the West Indies. There they died of disease. One son that was left at home in Dublin was my 3X great-grandfather Thomas Burgess.

On the same register, two lines below William Burgess, is the name of James Burgess, then 11 years and 6 months old. I wonder if he is a son of William. The next page of this register lists the death dates of some of the men and dates of discharge for others. There is no information about William or James Burgess.

I would like to know if it is possible to find out more information about William Burgess. Did his wife and some of his family travel with the regiment. What happened to them. Is there information about a family he may have left in Dublin.
karenbarber

Re: Bedfordshire Regiment

Postby MaureenE » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:26 am

You have not advised the source of the above record, but it appears to be an Ancestry database called Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900 which is derived from National Archives records in the series WO 25
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=3253

This means there are still possible Service records in the series WO 97, digitised on findmypast, or muster rolls records at the National Archives, not yet digitised , so requiring a personal visit or researcher.
For more about these records, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page British Army, section Military records at the National Archives
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/British_Army#M ... l_Archives

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:45 am

As Maureen says, there may be other records at Kew - there certainly should be some Muster Books that mention him. There may be Discharge Books that say when he went off the unit's strength (died, discharged, deserted, transferred, etc). By following Muster Books back, you may find when he joined up. These Muster Books, however, don't tend to have a lot of genealogical data - but his birthplace and birth-date may be in there.

There might be other stuff about him or his family - pessimistic me doubts it but you'll never know without someone looks. Nothing is guaranteed at this point in history but there are a number of possibilities. It is a big topic, though, and you probably need to read a book or two. Try the local library first, if you can.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby karenbarber » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:44 pm

Thank you Maureen and Adrian. I live in the western US and hope to be in London next year. I will follow up on your leads before going.
Karen
karenbarber

Return to General research queries