Moderator Control Panel ]

Ashwin

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Ashwin

Postby Gandalph » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:50 pm

Good afternoon. I am an absolute novice in your field so, please, bear with me. I am trying to find out
all the information I can about my partner's grandfather. All I have is her maternal aunt's birth certificate and a business letter heading dating from 6th May 1923. This reads ASHWIN & Co,
Shipowners, Ship & Insurance Brokers, A.John Ashwin, Ass I.N.A.& c, & c,Sole Partner, LIcenced Valuer.
5 Billiter Street, London E.C.3 This is her maternal grandfather.
The birth certificate for Flora Itala Ashwin born on 3rd March 1907 gives the name of Albert John Ashwin, ship broker, and Florence Emma Ashwin formerly Botting living at 24 Hardres Street, Ramsgate.
All we know is that A. John Ashwin moved to France and appears to have vanished of the surface of
this planet.
I would welcome any help or advice you could give me. Thank you very much.
Gandalph
Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
[Thor Heyerdahl]
Gandalph

Ashwin

Postby brunes08 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:01 pm

The family is still in Ramsgate on the 1911 census. As well as Flora (4yrs) there is also Vera (2yrs) and Guy Arthur Jones (14 yrs) listed as step-son. Albert is still listed as a ship broker.
I've tried finding a marriage for Albert and Florence but haven't been successful - using the surname Botting or even possibly Jones.
brunes08

Re: Ashwin

Postby sdup26 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:18 pm

In Hastings, Sussex, 1901, Arthur J Jones, a hotel keeper, lives with wife Florence b1877 in Ramsgate, and son Guy b1896, also in Ramsgate (mother's maiden name Botting). Arthur died in 1904.
sdup26

Postby sdup26 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:50 pm

From the Yorkshire Post 29/6/1923 - "Ship Owner's big losses and liabilities estimated at £10,000. Creditors interested in the recent failure of Albert John Ashwin, shipowner, of Billiter St, London, met in London." Is that why Albert left the country?
sdup26

Postby ianbee » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:07 pm

There's a death of an Arthur John Jones, age 35, in Hastings in 1904. Might be Florence's husband?

Has a birth registration of Albert John Ashwin been found?
Could he be the John Ashwin, 30, Commercial Clerk, born Somerset Bishops Hull(?), visiting Mr and Mrs Bacon in Streatham in 1901?
What happened to Florence Emma and the children?
Could a marriage in Kensington in June qtr 1921 be relevant - Albert J J Ashwin + Elise Stopt / Da Re (see City of London electoral registers)

Even if he went to Europe, could AJ have come back as WW2 approached?
1939 Register has an Albert J Ashwin, born July 1870, living 5 Newton Road, Paddington.
He features in the London Gazette at the time, and is described as Albert John Ashwin, Insurance Representative.
However, going on his birthdate in 1939 he would also fit the Albert James Ashwin whose birth was registered in Bristol in Sep qtr 1870.This chap seems to have married Meta Frances Ettery in Bristol in 1890. But he was not with his family in 1901. Meta Ashwin emigrated to America in 1903 with her two children, her mother and a couple of her siblings. Not sure that her husband did the same, though I haven't looked that hard.
Another death - Paddington, Dec qtr 1957, Albert Ashwin, age 87
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:31 am

ianbee wrote:Could a marriage in Kensington in June qtr 1921 be relevant - Albert J J Ashwin + Elise Stopt / Da Re (see City of London electoral registers)

Albert John and Elise Ashwin together at 5 Crosby Square, Bishopsgate, in 1920 (he was listed in autumn 1919)
1921 has Albert and Elise at 5 Billiter Street
He has a business premises voting qualification.

Their last appearance at 5 Billiter Street is autumn 1923, abode given as 12 Queens Gate Place Mews S.W.(which is in Kensington)
So getting that marriage certificate should give you details of the father of Albert (and Elise!)

ianbee wrote:1939 Register has an Albert J Ashwin, born July 1870, living 5 Newton Road, Paddington.

5 Newton Rd. W.2., Paddington
Albert J Ashwin, born 31 Jul 70, Widowed, Naval Architect and Shipow...
ianbee

RE : ASHWIN REPLY TO MY POST

Postby Gandalph » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:41 am

Ashwin 06.05.1922.jpg
Winline
Ashwin 06.05.1922.jpg (136.26 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
I wish to thank everyone who took the trouble to reply to my post. You have given me a lot to think about. This is why I am asking you to be patient, the time for me to digest the information you gave me. I will send the information you requested before Monday (I hope) meanwhile I'm enclosing a copy of the letterhead I mentioned earlier. Enjoy your weekend.
All the best,
Gandalph
[Thor Heyerdahl]
Gandalph

Postby JMcK » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:32 am

[quote="ianbee"]Meta Ashwin emigrated to America in 1903 with her two children, her mother and a couple of her siblings. Not sure that her husband did the same, though I haven't looked that hard.

From 1904 Meta is listed in the US directories as (wid. Albert) which I take to mean Widow of Albert

I can't see Albert James Emigrating to the US, nor can I see a death in either the US or England.
Meta describes herself as a wife on the shipping manifest in 1903

she is travelling with the 2 children, Meta and Lionel, her sister Beatrice Augusta Ettery (24), brother Percy (22) and their widowed mother Sarah Jane Ettery, (54) The address they give in the US is that of Sarah Jane's Sister Mrs Conyers (?) 415 Sherbourne Ave, St Paul, Minnesota
The Ashwin children's fares were paid by their mother.
It's as if the whole family from the 1901 census upsticks and went to Minnesota

So.... the implication is that Albert James has either died or deserted them. In view of the fact there does not seem to be any death for Albert James, nor a birth for Albert John, & can't find Albert James in 1901 census is it possible they are one and the same man?
JMcK

Postby Gandalph » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:02 am

brunes08 wrote:The family is still in Ramsgate on the 1911 census. As well as Flora (4yrs) there is also Vera (2yrs) and Guy Arthur Jones (14 yrs) listed as step-son. Albert is still listed as a ship broker.
I've tried finding a marriage for Albert and Florence but haven't been successful - using the surname Botting or even possibly Jones.

Thank you very much for for your reply. This is good to know. I will try to move this on. I will, of course, keep you informed.
[Thor Heyerdahl]
Gandalph

Postby Gandalph » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:23 am

sdup26 wrote:From the Yorkshire Post 29/6/1923 - "Ship Owner's big losses and liabilities estimated at £10,000. Creditors interested in the recent failure of Albert John Ashwin, shipowner, of Billiter St, London, met in London." Is that why Albert left the country?

Thank you very much for your reply. You are right, this is he, and it's probably why he left the country.
But he didn't leave empty handed. We know he bought a property in France. Vera and Florence occasionally spent their holidays there. It's not easy, believe me. I will, of course, keep you informed.
[Thor Heyerdahl]
Gandalph

Next

Return to General research queries