Moderator Control Panel ]

Letter: Would like to send to relative (Knightsmith, Potter)

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Letter: Would like to send to relative (Knightsmith, Potter)

Postby DianaCanada » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:39 pm

About eight or nine years ago I bought a book at a yard sale in Ottawa, Ontario and when I got home I found a letter inside sent to “Joyce” from “Felicity”. The book is called English Village Life and was published in 1997 so the letter must have been written that year or later, as Felicity begins her letter by stating she is sending the book as a Christmas gift. The letter includes Felicity’s address in Dorset but not the date.
Much of the letter (one page but crammed in!) is taken up with a description of Felicity’s childhood in London and then in Kingsclere, which she says is 52 miles from London, so I am assuming is the village in Hampshire (and I am quite sure Kingsclere turns up in the recent Clare Bolding WDYTYA episode!). She mentions that she was born in 1917 and her sister (named) in 1921. Using that information I am quite confident by matching their first names and years of birth, that Felicity was born Felicity Kingsmith registered in Hammersmith district (there were only 11 Felicitys registered in 1917 and I found her sister and parents and a possible brother on the 1939 register in Kingsclere).

Felicity’s father was William Lawrence St. John Knightsmith and he married Marjorie Elsdon Potter in 1915. William was the son of William Knightsmith and his wife Mary Ellen Thompson (in FreeBMD William is listed as a Smith (i.e. William Knight Smith) and Mary is listed twice, once as Mary Ellen and once as Mettie Mary E. They were married Sep 1881 in Kensington. In 1911 they seem to be running a music school or something similar in Shepard’s Bush, London.

I've just found Felicity's father's probate record on Ancestry by checking other Knight-Smiths (very few of them), he is on the same page as Dorothy Knight-Smith who died in 1974 but he is not indexed. He died in Dorset in 1974.

I'd be more than happy to send this letter to a member of the Knightsmith/Potter/ Thompson family.
DianaCanada

Re: Letter: Would like to send to relative (Knightsmith, Pot

Postby DianaCanada » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:11 pm

I also found this article online that mentions the family:

http://www.dorsetlife.co.uk/2010/11/norburton-hall/
DianaCanada

Postby KNIGHTSMITH GGS » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:42 am

I am William Knightsmiths Great Grandson.

The Knightsmiths of Burton Bradstock we my fathers Cousins.

I have loads of info on my Great Grand father.

Love to hear from you.

Patrick Stevenson
KNIGHTSMITH GGS

Postby DianaCanada » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:08 pm

KNIGHTSMITH GGS wrote:I am William Knightsmiths Great Grandson.

The Knightsmiths of Burton Bradstock we my fathers Cousins.

I have loads of info on my Great Grand father.

Love to hear from you.

Patrick Stevenson

Patrick, so happy a relative found this thread! I would be happy to send the letter to you. Please PM me with your address and will post it asap!
Diana.
DianaCanada

Postby Katie Smith » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:29 pm

Hi my name is katie smith and i have known the knightsmith(dorset) all my life. They were like family to my mum and I. Felicity,Sylvia and Nick were amazing people who had such a lovely veiw of the world and people nothing was too much trouble and would do anything for anyone, would someone be able to copy the letter and send to me please. Although many years have passed I still miss all three Felicity the elder of the three out lived the others. Regards to you Mr Stevenstone
Katie Smith

Postby Rosemary Collins » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:47 am

Hi Diana, Patrick and Katie,

I'm really glad you were able to find each other and share the letter! I'd love to write a short article about this story for our magazine and website - would you be interested in being interviewed? If so, please email me on rosemary [DOT] collins [AT] immediate [DOT] co [DOT] uk.

Thanks and best wishes,

Rosemary
Rosemary Collins
Staff Writer
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Postby DianaCanada » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:01 pm

Katie, please pm me with your address, I will mail you a copy. Diana.
DianaCanada

Return to Genealogy chat