Moderator Control Panel ]

Lady in uniform

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Lady in uniform

Postby LizzieBvB » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:07 pm

lady in uniform.jpg
Lady in Uniform
lady in uniform.jpg (68.59 KiB) Viewed 2638 times

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea what date roughly this photo is taken? Or what kind of uniform the lady is wearing? Or anything else which may help identify the lady in it?

Thanks in advance
LizzieBvB

Re: Lady in uniform

Postby KayFarndon » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:30 am

My thoughts on this are that it is not perhaps a uniform as one would imagine it might be. The lady is certainly not in a photographic studio and looks as if she might work in a landed gentry household. She is possibly a servant who has to conform to wearing some type of clothing that could be mistaken for a uniform.

Have you got nothing at all to add to the picture? How did you come by it?
KayFarndon

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:16 am

Sorry but that is taken in a photographer's studio. Don't be fooled by the perspective on the windows - look at the floor where the backcloth drops down in a straight line.

As for what she is wearing, well, depends on what you call a uniform. I'd say that domestic servants in big houses wore a uniform.

In this case, I can't decide what's going on. It all looks a little too practical, even heavy duty, for a purely domestic setting. I did try to see if munitions workers had a standard uniform. I don't think that they did but I'm fairly certain that she couldn't be working with munitions as her buttons appear to be metal, which was absolutely forbidden for munitions workers.

She also seems to be wearing a tie round her collar which is a touch dangerous for anyone working with machinery.

Err... So, some gut feeling but very little hard facts...

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:51 pm

Good idea but the chair will be just a prop in the photographer's studio so could have been there for years...

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby LizzieBvB » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:24 pm

thank you all for your replies.

The photo was found in my grandmother's possessions and is a relative that I have most probably narrowed down to 3 women. The family were living in Walthamstow / Leytonstone area. Of the potential candidates I know a few facts:

1) Victoria born 1908 - unlikely I would think the photo is earlier?
2) Ellen born 1886. I know she was a journalist and I think quite 'modern' for her time.
3) Helena born 1860. I think too old for this photo?

As I understand it, it's a postcard type picture so would date from at least 1902? The solid, plain chairs used as props normally came in around 1910 I thought? and the faux leaded window background some put as being popular in 1911-14?

I was thinking that date wise it may date from around WW1 (based on the style of the picture)? What I thought was perhaps most likely is a land girl uniform? or some kind of farm / army uniform?
However, were I to be correct on the date period I understand it would not be common for a woman to be wearing trousers?? Does this therefore indicate a later date??

This photo has stumped anyone I have asked to look at it. Mainly due to the fact that she's wearing trousers.

Presumably she was proud of what the uniform symbolised as otherwise she would not pose for a rather serious photo in a studio in order to capture the moment.
LizzieBvB

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:37 pm

Off the top of my head, women doing war work in WW1 would often wear trousers.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby coopernicola » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:30 pm

She could be a WWI munitions worker. The girls in this Tyneside factory are wearing similar overdressed with trousers, some with ties too, as well as boiler suits.
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1501777801.208954.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1501777801.208954.jpg (119.32 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
coopernicola

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Very much the style but as I said above, if those are metal buttons, then she's definitely not a munitions worker.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Jethro Tull » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:19 pm

Is there anything on the back of the image? Could narrow it down maybe from the photographers studio if it's on there.

Dan.

Sent from my SM-G930F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Postby LizzieBvB » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:56 pm

Unfortunately there is absolutely nothing on the back. Totally blank.

Would it be common for someone to pose for a portrait photo if a munitions worker?
The uniform does indeed look similar to the photo provided. Particularily the girls in the top row.
However, the trousers and shoes look a bit too smart??

Would you all agree on estimated date range of 1914ish?? Or is there a reasonable possibility that it could be earlier or later and a totally different type of uniform?

It's very difficult to see if the buttons are metal or not, but they do look like they could be.
LizzieBvB

Next

Return to Photo identification