Moderator Control Panel ]

Lady in uniform

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Re: Lady in uniform

Postby KayFarndon » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:22 am

Lots of interesting and helpful replies for you. My further thoughts go to the census returns.

You have not given surnames for the women you have narrowed your search to, but I assume you know them. Have you looked at the census records for the 2nd and 3rd lady? The 1886 woman will show as an adult on the 1901 & 1911 and the 1860 lady will be on 1881 and others. If they married, then look for them under that name. Their occupations will be listed.
KayFarndon

Postby LizzieBvB » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:59 pm

yes, unfortunately this family are a little elusive in the records and frequently change their names, ages etc more than you would expect.

1) Helena Fielder Malyon born 1860 M. Joseph William James Stone in 1881. Helena / Ellen / Eleanor can be found in the 1901 census living with Joseph Stone at 149 Gladstone Road, Walthamstow. She has no occupation listed. He is a collector of debts. I cannot find her in the 1911 census. Joseph Stone is listed as living in Matlock Road Leyton in the 1911 census. He is listed as a widower which would put her death between 1901-1911 but I cannot find a viable death record for her in this period. Therefore she may possibly be dead prior to 1911.
I cannot find either Helena or Joseph in the 1891 census.

2) Helena Caroline Stone (commonly using the name Ellen fielder Stone) was born 1883 to the above listed parents. She can be found living in 1911 with Alfred Hems and her daughter Victoria at 79 Winchester Street, Islington all under her surname Stone. She has no occupation listed in this census. I cannot find her in the 1901 census. However, on the birth certificate of her daughter Victoria (born 1908, not the daughter of Alfred Hems), she is listed as a journalist and she is living in north Brixton with the father of her daughter Victoria. Ellen died in december 1918 in Holborn workhouse. When she was admitted she was described as Ellen Hems 'housewife'.

I believe the photo is of one of these women. However it is very difficult to determine age from the photo and neither of them have an occupation listed in documents I have which would explain the uniform.
LizzieBvB

Postby DianaCanada » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:18 pm

Is the subject wearing a ring on her "wedding" finger? I can't tell but as her left hand is quite visible, that might be a clue. Did the one most likely, age wise (Ellen) ever marry?
Wasn't bone used to make buttons before modern plastics? Or even ivory. Might account for the light colour.
DianaCanada

Postby ShaunJ » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:38 am

The outfit bears some similarities to "Lady Maud, on munitions" in this Punch cartoon from 1918: http://punch.photoshelter.com/image/I00005.C6hV2U6wU
ShaunJ

Postby woodchal » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:54 pm

I have no better ideas, but just to chip in

I think the "handkerchief" could be the triangular "on war service" badge work by female munitions workers, rather than the hankie suggested elsewhere in thread

White does not necessarily = metal, could be bone

Munitions was not necessarily always dealing with explosives

A publication about postcards from WW1 (worldwar1postcards.com) says "Few photographic cards seem to exist that show the munitions girls at work. Nevertheless, local photographers visited the factory's and snapped the workers in both single and group studies. A room was frequently provided for this...". Images of munitions workers in this publication also show pictures where the badge looks like a hankie

Good luck
woodchal

Previous

Return to Photo identification