Moderator Control Panel ]

Printing Industry

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Printing Industry

Postby RichardCrane » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:03 pm

My ancestors on my father's family (the Cranes) were cotton weavers, but one of them broke away from that industry and went into the printing industry. Does anyone in Lancashire know anything about the printing industry in which my family got involved in? Does anyone know how long the Cranes worked in this industry?

Richard Crane
RichardCrane

RE: Printing Industry

Postby RichardCrane » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:46 pm

My great-great grandfather John Bryning Crane (born in 1847) established a printing firm at Mount Street in Preston in 1874. Two of his sons, William Crane and Richard Crane (the latter was my great grandfather) carried on the business.

Please, can anyone provide me with some more information about the printing industry that my father's family were involved in?
RichardCrane

Postby RichardCrane » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:53 pm

I have a theory about my great-great grandfather's printing industry.

During the 19th century, steam engines were applied to nearly every industry in the world. As the printing process was done by hand in the years gone by, mechanisation meant that steam engines can power the new printing machines. I have an illustration of a printing machine powered by a steam engine inside Fred Dibnah's Age of Steam book. Definitely, with both my great-great grandfather and my great grandfather operating a printing industry, this is where I get my passion for literature from!

Richard Crane
RichardCrane

Postby RichardCrane » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:53 am

As I mentioned before, my great- great grandfather John Bryning Crane established a printing firm in Mount Street, Preston in 1874. I would like to know if the printing firm is still on Mount Street today. Anyone in Preston, let me know please?

Thank You,
Richard Crane.
RichardCrane

Postby Editor » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:13 pm

You could try sending an email to Alan Crosby, our local history expert. He is based in Preston. His email address is alan@bbcmagazinesbristol.com

I can't promise anything, but if he has any information on the firm I'm sure he will pass it on to you.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby RichardCrane » Fri May 08, 2009 3:23 am

What I don't know is what type of printing my ancestor established. It could be either printing for newspapers and posters or printing patterns for clothes and carpets.
RichardCrane

Return to General research queries