Moderator Control Panel ]

Mary Ellen Adams/Nicholson

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Mary Ellen Adams/Nicholson

Postby JET » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:55 pm

Following on from an earlier query I posted on here, which several people kindly tried to help with, I am hoping you may spot something that I cannot see.

On the 1881 & 1891 censuses, there is a Mary E Adams, aged 9 & 19 respectively, so born in about 1872, living with her parents, George & Sarah, and several siblings. Her place of birth is given as Wynyard Park, Durham and Wolviston, Durham.

I believe that on 13 August 1895, she marries John Andrew Nicholson in Mexborough Parish Church, giving her name as Mary ELLEN Adams, father George Adams, Gamekeeper, deceased. There is a death of a George Adams of the right age in Rotherham in 1893. I've ordered the certificate.

On 17 July 1904, a Mary ELIZABETH Nicholson, formerly Adams, gives birth to a daughter, Gladys, in The Workhouse at Balby, Hexthorpe, Doncaster.

We have spent years trying to track down Mary Elizabeth, with no success. The obvious candidates have been discounted. Using the results of a DNA test, we believe that the descendants of Gladys are connected in some way to the Adams family that Mary Ellen is part of, and the discovery of a marriage of Mary Ellen Adams to a Nicholson has got us even more excited, so we wonder whether the mother's middle name on Gladys's birth certificate may have been recorded as Elizabeth when it should have been Ellen.

We checked the Workhouse records years ago as part of the search for Mary Elizabeth, but they didn't give anything useful. I may go and have another look in the light of the new idea, but doubt they will shed much more light.

My immediate puzzle is trying to work out what happened to John & Mary Ellen after 1895. There are a few family trees on Ancestry which claim to be for them, but they are full of inconsistencies. Most of them claim Mary E's father, George, died in 1904 in Doncaster, but give no source for this. One has 2 separate 1911 census entries both attributed to the same family!

I have found one 1911 census entry for a John & Mary Nicholson in Langley Park who have been married 14 years, which I thought might be them, but there are children born in Durham around the time of Gladys's birth, so I think that rules them out. There are several births of Nicholsons with mother's maiden name Adams in Doncaster, but the ones I have checked are in the census with different parents or have died before being documented on a census.

If anybody could suggest any likely census entries, or indeed any official records pertaining to John & Mary Ellen, I would be very grateful. I am still hoping to be able to tell Gladys's daughter, who is now 90, who her biological family were.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JET

Re: Mary Ellen Adams/Nicholson

Postby jakval » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:56 pm

I think this is the Mary Elizabeth who gave birth to Gladys

1891 census Balby with Hexthorpe Yorkshire RG12/3859 folio80 page5
Mary Elizabeth Adams 1874 born Hexthorpe
parents George (labourer) + Sarah
jakval

Postby jakval » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:20 pm

The body of George Adams gamekeeper living at Mexborough was found Wednesday 18 oct 1893
jakval

Postby JET » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:01 pm

Thanks for these suggestions.

I believe that the Mary Elizabeth Adams that you have identified married Harry George Martin in Doncaster in Sept 1895 (this was uncovered for me by someone responding to my previous query on this forum). They can be found on the 1901 census and in the 1911 census, when they were living in Chesterfield with 5 children aged 15, 13, 11 and 9 months (twins). Mary Elizabeth's age rises consistently by 10 years on each subsequent census. There is a very large gap between the first 3 children and the last 2, in which Mary Elizabeth could have given birth to Gladys in the Workhouse, but why is there no mention of her married name of Martin?

There is another Mary Elizabeth Adams born in Balby in 1881, but we also have a marriage for her in 1908 and a subsequent census record.

Your discovery of the death of George Adams, gamekeeper of Mexborough, is very helpful, because Mary Ellen's father George, was a gamekeeper. I found a newspaper report referring to the finding of his body in which it says he lived in Thrybergh, which is where the family were on the 1891 census. Mary Ellen's father, George, was deceased by the time of her marriage in 1895, so this all fits together.

I don't think any of the candidates for Gladys's mother is obviously more likely than the others so I'll keep at the search. It would help if they didn't all have fathers called George. The DNA link to Mary Ellen's family is encouraging, but there could be a common ancestor between all the Adams families living in the area.

Thanks again for looking - all ideas are gratefully received.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JET

Return to General research queries