Moderator Control Panel ]

Emma Willis' episode

Discuss the 14th series of the award-winning television programme, which will feature Charles Dance, Clare Balding, Fearne Cotton and more

Emma Willis' episode

Postby Rosemary Collins » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi guys!

The next episode of Who Do You Think You Are? Series 14 airs at 9pm on BBC One on Thursday 3 August.

It follows Big Brother presenter Emma Willis as she traces her deep Birmingham roots. She also confronts violent and disturbing truths about one ancestor in Ireland, while she's inspired by and identifies with the graft and determination of another.

As ever, please let us know your thoughts about the episode on this thread!
Rosemary Collins
Staff Writer
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Re: Emma Willis' episode

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:14 am

As a very proud Brummie myself (with pre-Industrial Revolution Brummie roots), I found last night's episode great fun. It was so nice too to hear from Professor Carl Chinn, our most distinguished and enthusiastic historian. He has been an inspirational advocate of the City for many years.

I thought that, given that a little less than half the programme was given over to the Brummie bits of Emma's history, it did manage to convey a really good flavour of the place. The 'City of 1000 Trades' where so many different things were produced; the notion of a city of 'small gaffers' which made it's Victorian landscape so very unlike the big factories & mills of other, more Northern, cities; the idea that if you had a skill, you could progress: these are all part of any Brummie's genealogy. Yes, it was overcrowded, it grew very fast, but that was in part because anyone was welcome there, as long as they had a skill or a willingness to contribute. Religion and ethnicity have never been so much of an issue in Brum as in other UK cities.

And I really loved the fact that Emma was so proud to be a Brummie. It is a fantastic city, full of really interesting history and architecture, with more miles of Canal than Venice. I would enthusiastically encourage anyone to go and see for themselves.

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby junkers » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:46 pm

I found it interesting, there were a few points I disliked (the researcher turning over a birth certificate before I could read it!, I thought most people knew what an Orangeman was and what happened at the trial involving the stabbing by Fowler, senior (I can't remember his full name).
junkers

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:50 pm

Didn't enjoy this episode very much.
As for her not knowing what an orange man was, I can see how she wouldn't. I am scottish so am
very aware what an orangeman is, but my english friends are not.Thought the tears were a bit much.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby Gilly72 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:17 pm

I think you will find a lot of English people know what an Orangeman is, we are not all completely ignorant you know. I suppose it depends on how much you watch the news and when you were brought up. What I didn't know was who Emma Willis was!!
Gilly72

Postby Joyce Holder » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:24 pm

I have really enjoyed both the Emma Willis and the Claire Balding episodes.
Both were really interested and excited about the findings without false reactions.
It is refreshing to see a celeb admit they don't know something and that Emma was so proud of her origins in Birmingham.
Jayhol2
Joyce Holder

Postby meekhcs » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:47 am

Who knows how much these celebrities actually know about their Families before signing up to this programme but if Emma truly knew nothing of her Family beyond her Grandparents then how wonderful to discover an Ancestor such as Michael Kirwan.
meekhcs

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2017