Moderator Control Panel ]

Looking for Sarah Himalaya Duncan

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Looking for Sarah Himalaya Duncan

Postby Sucher » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:09 pm

Sarah Himalaya Duncan was born at sea 9 September 1862 and was baptised 21 September in Montreal, Canada. She returned home to England with her family at the end of her father's tour with the Grenadier Guards in 1864. She is present with her mother and siblings at Shepherd's Bush on the 1871 and 1881census returns. In 1891, she is listed as a domestic servant with Edward Hammond, a Wine Merchant and living in Chelsham Road, Clapham. Here is where I lose the trail.

Sarah's unusual middle name derives from the name of the boat that carried the family to Canada. I would appreciate any help in tracing what happened to her after 1891 - many thanks.

S
Sucher

Re: Looking for Sarah Himalaya Duncan

Postby sdup26 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:58 pm

In 1871, Elizabeth Duncan is a widow, and her daughter Sarah H, aged 8, is 'born in Canada.'
In 1881, Sarah H Duncan is a general servant in the household of James Pennyewick, a Major General (did he know Sarah's Army father?) living in Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire. On the census, Sarah says she's 25 (b1856) which seems far too early, but probably yours, as she was 'born at sea.'
Then in 1891, as you say, she was a servant for Edward Hammond in Clapham, and she again says she was born at sea.
I thought I'd found a marriage on FMP - Sarah H Duncan DQ 1911 in Lambeth, but it seems like a transcription error, as it's Sarah M Duncan on freebmd, to William Conn, William G Hill, or Billy Maher.
Unfortunately, no further sightings. Are there any family stories of Sarah returning to Canada?
sdup26

Postby ianbee » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:20 pm

The only result I can get anywhere for a Sarah with that second name is a death
June 1904 Islington 1b 102
Taylor, Sarah Himalaya
age 40

Whoever she was, she is buried in LB Newham (I think at Manor Park Cemetery). That took place 5 May 1904
But I can't see any sign of Sarah Duncan marrying a Taylor.
There is a birth in Sep qtr 1892, Holborn, of a Georgina Ethel Taylor, mother Duncan. The only birth reg I can see in London around the time with that combination of surnames. Can't find any more info on her though, other than that in 1911 she might have been a servant in Marylebone.

Quite likely to be all unconnected though.
Ian
ianbee

Postby Sucher » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:48 pm

Hi Sdup and Ian. I posted a reply but this seems to have AWOL, possibly posting at exactly the same time as Ian. Rather than recompose my message, I'll just say that right after my first post, I found a post dated May this year on a Navyships forum from someone who is Sarah's great grand child. Once my registration is approved by the moderators, I can reply with all the information that I have and hopefully find our what happened to Sarah. The poster and I are third cousins!

Thank you.

S
Sucher

Postby ianbee » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:35 pm

Good luck!

Meanwhile -
I think the Georgina Ethel Taylor born 1892 I mentioned may have married in Paddington in 1917. Needs more investigation. (edited for spelling!)
She may be in the 1901 census as Ethel, mother Himalaya, transcript courtesy of FamilySearch

Name: Himalaya Taylor
Relationship to Head of Household:Wife
Birth Year (Estimated): 1865
Birthplace: On Board Ship
Residence: Tiber Street
Civil Parish: Islington
County: London, Middlesex
Ecclesiastical Parish: All Saints Islington
Registration District: Islington
Sub-District: Barnsbury
Household:
George Taylor Head 48 Builders Foreman Islington, London
Himalaya Taylor Wife 36 On Board Ship
Ethel Taylor Daughter 8 Islington, London
Ian
Last edited by ianbee on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:44 pm

Reference for 1901
piece 182 folio 88 page 11
Hamalaya Taylor on ancestry

Full details of the daughter's birth reg
Sep 1892 Holborn 1b 720
Taylor, Georgina Ethel
mother Duncan

ianbee wrote:Quite likely to be all unconnected though.

Spoke too soon!
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:49 pm

Sucher wrote:hopefully find our what happened to Sarah.

Very likely she died in Islington in 1904, and is buried in Manor Park Cemetery. See my first reply.
This Taylor info is not available on World Naval Ships forums.
Ian
ianbee

Postby Sucher » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:59 pm

Hi Ian

There is a one time poster on the World Naval Ships forum on the 'HMS Himalayan 1853-1940' thread who is asking for information about S H Duncan. Hopefully, they will see my answer and we can make contact. Right now, I'm pawing the ground waiting for access to the forum. My mother knew about S. H.D. but it's the usual story, I didn't ask at the time.

Must be patient but it's not easy. Thank you for all the work!

S
Sucher

Postby Sucher » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:22 pm

ianbee wrote:
Sucher wrote:hopefully find our what happened to Sarah.

Very likely she died in Islington in 1904, and is buried in Manor Park Cemetery. See my first reply.
This Taylor info is not available on World Naval Ships forums.
Ian

Think you have it right Ian. Can't be too many Sarah Himalaya - born at sea.

S
Sucher

Postby Sucher » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:14 pm

Hi Ian, I owe you a pint or three. I've heard from Sarah Duncan's descendant and she did indeed die in 1904 in Islington. Coincidentally she died less than a mile from where I went to secondary school. Daughter was indeed Georgina Ethel who married Fred Ramsey in Paddington in 1917. They emigrated in 1921 to the States, Fred died and Georgina remarried. That's where I'm up to at the moment.

I'm very grateful, that's the second time you've helped me with a breakthrough.

Kind Regards

S
Sucher

Next

Return to General research queries