Moderator Control Panel ]

Brickwall - Death Alice Hancock

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Brickwall - Death Alice Hancock

Postby CaronW » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:05 pm

Alice Hancock was born 12/1/1891 in Bury, Lancashire. (Parents - Amelia and Harold Hancock) In 1901 aged 10 she was living in Stoney Middleton, Derbyshire with her grandparents. She was still living there in 1911 aged 20. On 31/5/1914 Alice gave birth to an illegitimate daughter, Gertrude Hancock, in Bury (she had moved back to live with her mother - Amelia who had remarried a Samuel Crowther).

I can find no trace of Alice on the 1939 Register. Her daughter Gertrude was living with her now widowed grandmother (Amelia) in Bury. Amelia died in 1949 and there was no mention of Alice in her will.

I have been unable to find a death record for Alice Hancock. Can anyone help please? Please let me know if you think I may have further information that may help. Thank you.
CaronW

Re: Brickwall - Death Alice Hancock

Postby CaronW » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:19 am

Thank you, JMcKinnon - I will check out your finds. Alice just seems to have disappeared!
CaronW

Postby cergenealogy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:50 pm

There is an Alice Hancock in the Lancaster County Mental Hospital in the 1939 register. Her year of birth is given as 1890 but it is feasible it is a year out as only the year is given, rather than the full date, so it may well have been rounded. Lancaster is about a hundred miles from Stoney Middleton / 50 miles from Bury so it is possible that this may be her. She is listed as a Nurse Domestic but also as “P” so presumably she was a patient rather than working there.
There is a death for presumably this Alice Hancock aged 57 (and therefore born c1890) in JFM 1947 in Lancaster district. (v10c p745).

It’s perhaps worth investigating… although I note there is also a birth record for an Alice Hancock in Lancaster in 1890 so I may be sending you down the wrong line….

Carol
cergenealogy

Postby CaronW » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Thank you, cergenealogy. I have checked out this Alice and I'm afraid she is not the one I am looking for. Thank you for your time.
CaronW

Return to General research queries