Moderator Control Panel ]

Query on GtGrandfathers death cert

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Query on GtGrandfathers death cert

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:40 pm

My Gt Grandfather Thomas Gavin was born in Ireland (place not known)in 1851.(from census)
He married my GtGrandmother Mary Callan on the 3rd Sept 1875 in Lesmahagow.
I have been looking for a death for him. The one I have found on Scotlands People has the right place
Midcalder ,Midlothian (now West Lothian) the right age 75. the right profession, shale miner retired.
The confusing thing is that it says widower of Helen McClucky and mothers name Helen Gavin ms.
McClucky.It can't be the same person for both.Obviously there is a mistake but how can I be sure it's my man?
Thanks
Grace
Amazinggrace

Re: Query on GtGrandfathers death cert

Postby Amazinggrace » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:23 pm

Following on from the previous post,is it safe to say that Helen McClucky was his mother?
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby ianbee » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:19 pm

Aren't Scottish marriage registers supposed to give the name and maiden surname of the mother of the bride and groom?
ianbee

Postby Amazinggrace » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:31 am

Thanks Ianbee,I dont have a marriage certificate.The info for date and place was on FS.
The other info such as age was from the scottish census where place of birth said Ireland.I have the
certificates for the children,including my grandmother Mary Callan Gavin.I have Mary Callan's
birth in Carluke in 1854.I assume it was an error on the death certificate for Thomas to give the same person as wife and mother.Wife was definately Mary Callan.
Thanks
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby Amazinggrace » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:54 pm

Thanks JMcKinnon,I have paid the six credits. Thats where I saw the discrepency.
I have the death certificate copy in front of me.
It gives Thomas Gavin widower of Helen and I think the surname is McClucky.In the column for
mother it gives Helen Gavin ms. McClucky.I've never come across anything like this before with
the same person listed for both.
His wife was definately Mary Callan.
The informant was son Robert Gavin,my granny's brother.The other brother was Thomas Gavin.
Thank for your interest.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby Amazinggrace » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:25 pm

I don't have a marriage cert.The only thing I could find was an entry on LDS which just gave the date,3rd sept 1875 in Lesmahagow but no details of parents.I have his wife Mary Callan's parents.I couldn't find a marriage on scotlands people.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby ianbee » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:12 pm

The marriage is on ScotlandsPeople!
You must have missed it, something I do all the time
Thomas's father was Peter Gavin, Labourer (Decd)
and his mother was Helen Gavin, m.s. Blackburn

Well, that's what it looks like to me. The image quality - as is often the case on ScotlandsPeople - is not great.

Mary was the daughter of Robert Callan, and Helen nee Carruthers??
Ian
ianbee

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:43 am

Thanks Ian for that.I now have to try and trace Peter and Helen in Ireland.Should be fun :(
where the hell McClucky comes in I will no doubt discover in due course.Thanks again
Grace
Amazinggrace

Return to General research queries