Moderator Control Panel ]

Gatrell Wheeler - Isle of Wight

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Gatrell Wheeler - Isle of Wight

Postby AllanP » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:42 pm

I’m looking for help in tracing my wife’s maternal line

Her grandfather, Arthur Wheeler was born in 1887 on the Isle of Wight. He was the youngest child of Edwin and Elizabeth Wheeler, as seen in the 1891 Census. In the 1871 and 1881 Census lists, Edwin is recorded as “Edwin G Wheeler”. In the 1911 Census he is listed as “Edwin Gatrell Wheeler”.
Edwin married Elizabeth Gilbert in 1870, so in the 1861 Census, Edwin is living with his parents(?) William and Rhoda but the family name is given as “Gatrell”. And in the 1851 and 1841 Census the family name appears as “Gattrell”. The household members appear consistent across the Census records.

There are other children listed with William and Rhoda as their parents – all but one appear to have the name Gatrell Wheeler. But I can’t find a marriage of William Gatrell to a Rhoda. I can, however, find a marriage of a Rhoda March of the right age and place (b. 1813 Carisbrooke, IoW) to a Richard Wheeler…

So I’m confused as to what was happening on the Isle of Wight to the Wheler and Gatrell families during the 19th century. It’s complicated by the number of Wheelers and Gatrells who seem to reside there together with the repetition of Christian names.

What made Edwin Gatrell adopt the name Edwin Garell Wheeler at the time of his marriage in 1870?
Any help on these puzzles would be appreciated.
AllanP

Re: Gatrell Wheeler - Isle of Wight

Postby brunes08 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:56 pm

The only instance I have come across where there has been a change of name in the way you describe was many years ago. An inheritance was subject to the husband changing his name to that of his wife's family to ensure the continuation of the surname. Have you looked to see if there are any Wills for any of the people you mention that might give a clue to any of your issues?
brunes08

Postby woodchal » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:37 pm

Sir Richard Williams, the great grandfather of Oliver Cromwell, changed his name, from Williams to Cromwell.
woodchal

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:24 am

Could it be that the Richard Wheeler who married Rhoda, was the illegitimate son of a woman called Wheeler, who went on to marry a Gattrell? Richard would then likely adopt his step-fathers namein some form or other.

My own great grandfather Frederick Thompson, was Illegitimate son of Sarah Thompson, who shortly after his birth, married John Bailey. Frederick can be seen in various records as Frederick Bailey Thompson and Frederick Thompson Bailey. Whether John Bailey was his actual father we'll never know.

On another branch of my tree, a son insisted his late father was called Stanley 'Parkin' Miller. No such person existed according to GRO, but there was a Stanley Parkin, illegitimate son of Mary Parkin found at the correct time and place. Mary went on to marry a James Miller, hence the name change.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby sdup26 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:13 pm

Edwin's father William is plain Gatrell in the censuses, and while he's living with his parents, so is Edwin, although his birth was registered as Edwin Gatrell Wheeler. He marries Elizabeth as Edwin Gatrell Wheeler, then from 1871, he drops the Gatrell and calls himself Wheeler. Sometimes a middle name is from a benefactor/godparent, or a maiden name carried on in the family, or maybe Edwin simply chose to use that name rather than Gatrell.

Have you tried posting a query with the Isle of Wight FHS? ( www.isle-of-wight-fhs.co.uk )
sdup26

Postby AllanP » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback re these families.

I have a Rhoda March b.1813 at Carisbrooke IoW.
Rhoda March marries Richard Wheeler at Chale IoW in 1833.

In the 1841 Census at Arreton IoW, there is a household containing
William Gatrell and Rhoda Gatrell and children Sarah and William Gatrell

In the 1851 Census at Arreton IoW, there are
William Gatrell (Head), Rhoda Gatrell (Wife), with children Sarah, William, Thomas, Edwin and Fanny – all Gatrells.
On this Census, Rhoda Gatrell’s birthplace is shown as Carisbrooke IoW in 1813 – which ties in with Rhoda March above.

In the 1861 Census at Arreton IoW, there are
William and Rhoda Gatrell (Head + wife) and children Thomas, Edwin, Eliza and Mary Ann (all Gatrells)

Edwin Gatrell Wheeler marries Elizabeth Gilbert in 1870 on the IoW.

In the 1871 Census at Arreton, the household consists of
William & Rhoda Gatrell (Head + wife) and children Thomas and Eliza Gatrell.
while in a neighbouring household , there are
Edwin G Wheeler and his wife Elizabeth Wheeler with their son William H Wheeler

In the 1881 Census, there is a household in Arreton containing
Edwin G and Elizabeth Wheeler (Head + wife) plus children William H, George, Albert E and Fanny (all Wheelers).
Rhoda Gatrell is a lodger in Ryde IoW.

In the 1891 Census at Whippingham IoW, there is a household containing
Edwin and Elizabeth Wheeler (Head + wife) plus children William. George, Albert, Fanny, Kate, Emma and Arthur (my wife’s grandfather).
Rhoda Gatrell is a lodger in Ryde IoW.

There is a Death registered in the IoW in 1893 for a Rhoda Wheeler (b. 1813).

In the 1901 Census for Newport IoW, Edwin Wheeler is Widower; his household contains his children Fanny, Annie and Arthur; and Ellen Lane (from Arreton IoW) is a Vsitor.

In the 1911 Census at Newport, widowed Edwin Gatrell Wheeler is listed as Head of a household that contains his children Kate and Annie, and a grandson George Wheeler (I haven’t as yet identified his parents).

My current theory to explain this is that Rhoda March (b.1813) married Richard Wheeler in 183. The only trace I have of a potential groom is a a Richard Wheeler training to be a seafarer. So while Richard was away at sea, did Rhoda reside with William Gatrell? Who fathered the children? Edwin Gatrell revives the Wheeler name by the time of his marriage in 1870.Note that we have what appears to be Edwin’s mother, Rhoda, being recorded as Rhoda Wheeler at her death.
I think my next course will be to get at least Edwin’s birth and marriage certificates as well as at least birth certificates for the other children who resided with William and Rhoda Gatrell; and also to see if I can find more on Richard Wheeler...
AllanP

Postby sdup26 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:44 am

On Edwin's 1847 GRO birth entry, his mother's maiden name is March. Looks like Sarah was born just before registration, but William (b1839) is registered as William March Wheeler, mother's maiden name March. You seem to be on the right track with Rhoda March.
sdup26

Postby AllanP » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:24 pm

Thanks for that info sdup26 !

It looks like Rhoda March is key to all this.
Comparing the Census transcripts with th BMD transcriots in FindMyPast, it looks like Rhoda's children were recorded with surname Gatrell on the Censuses, but as Wheeler on the Birth registrations. The Birth registration transcripts seem to show William Wheeler as the father!!!

As for Richard Wheeler, the Marriage transcript on FamilySearch.org gives his birthplace as "of Shalfleet" (on the Isle of Wight), but as it's before 1837 there's no GRO record...

It's a good job I like puzzles! :D
AllanP

Postby sdup26 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:17 pm

You've probably already got this, but in case not - Rhoda March was christened March 7th 1813,
St Mary's, Carisbrooke, father Richard, mother Mary.
sdup26

Postby AllanP » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:47 am

Thanks for that re Rhoda's baptism.
I'll order up some birth and marriage certicates next week to see what information they have about addresses, fathers, mothers and (in the case of marriages) witnesses.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
AllanP

Next

Return to General research queries