Moderator Control Panel ]

Sarah Ann Harvey 1857-1921

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Sarah Ann Harvey 1857-1921

Postby MoVidger » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:41 pm

I’m trying to locate my maternal 2 x great-aunt Sarah Ann HARVEY (nee Trussler) in the 1881 and 1891 census reports. Sarah Ann was born 1857 in Ash, Surrey, She can be found in the 1861 and 1871 census with her family.

On 25 Dec 1875, she married Noah Harvey in Ash, Surrey. No children, as far as I’m aware.

In 1881, Noah is listed as “widower” and is living with Sarah Ann’s father in Aldershot. No sign of Sarah Ann, but she is alive…somewhere.
In 1891, Noah is “single” and working for the Goddard family in Pirbright, Surrey. Still no sign of Sarah Ann. In March 1897, Noah is admitted to the asylum in Woking. He dies there in September 1897.

Sarah Ann finally turns up in the 1901 census in Aldershot, now married to Thomas Cranham (plasterer). They married on 9 Oct 1899 in Aldershot. Thomas is also Sarah Ann’s brother-in-law.

So where has she been from pre-1881 to 1899? My grandmother knew Sarah Ann and mentioned that she had “spent time in the USA during the Wild West days”. Sadly, my granny didn’t confirm any specific details or US cities/towns where Sarah Ann may have lived.

With this in mind, I’ve found an interesting New York Passenger List record on Family Search:
SS Aragon
Sarah Ann Harvey (age 21, wife)
Immigration – 1879 - New York City
Birthplace - England

This Sarah Ann doesn’t appear to be travelling with anyone. (I am wondering if this particular Passenger List may be indexed incorrectly as '1879' on FS. The previous page indicates ‘1872’ and the Castle Garden site gives this woman's arrive date as 2 Nov 1872) If this is correct, then the date is too early for my Sarah Ann Harvey.

I've tried to trace Sarah Ann Harvey in the 1880 US census, but no luck so far. Also, there doesn’t appear to be a record for her in the UK, Incoming Passenger Lists on Ancestry.

It’s like my relative has vanished into thin air from c1881 to 1899. All I have to go on is my grandmother’s intriguing “Wild West” tidbit, which should definitely have merit.

Note: Sarah Ann isn’t the “Annie Harvey” living in Utah and Idaho. That lady was from London and was a Mormon, I believe.

Any suggestions or advice on where to find Sarah Ann will be greatly appreciated!
MoVidger

Re: Sarah Ann Harvey 1857-1921

Postby MoVidger » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:27 am

Thanks for those records. I'd seen them before and am still inclined to dismiss them for two reasons:

1. Sarah Ann didn't appear to have any children, with either marriage.
2. Why would Sarah Ann travel all the way from Surrey to Liverpool for the voyage?

If she did journey to America, the clue might be in my grandmother's comment about "...during the Wild West days". My grandmother was always precise in her descriptions of world travel (she herself lived in Malta, Egypt, Scotland, Europe, USA).

So it suggests Sarah Ann travelled further west of the major Eastern US cities (e.g. Boston, New York, Philadelphia). Unless Sarah Ann sailed to Canada, crossed the border, and ended up somewhere like St Louis or Chicago. Just a theory...

Something interesting was afoot, considering her first husband is calling himself a "widower" in 1881. And in the 1911 census, she is living on her "own means" even though her 2nd husband was working.
MoVidger

Re: Sarah Ann Harvey 1857-1921

Postby MoVidger » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:15 pm

I don't know about $3 million, but Sarah Ann had money from somewhere. Example: she gave expensive jewelry to my grandmother when she was a young woman (it was later stolen). :( To me, this suggests that Sarah Ann never had children. Plus I've checked the GRO indexes.
Sarah Ann's financial circumstances intrigue me, so that why I'm keen to find out where she was during her "lost years".

She could have gone by "Annie Harvey" (she is Annie Cranham in the 1901 census). Not that it will make narrowing her down in the US census any easier. I don't think there are any older Aldershot newspapers online at the moment. I could do with a 1921 obit for her.
MoVidger

Return to General research queries