Moderator Control Panel ]

Finding Louise Duncan

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Finding Louise Duncan

Postby Sucher » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:13 pm

Thanks to the help received on this forum, I found the answer to one of my brick walls. My ancestor George William Duncan had a granddaughter who was born in 1935 in Philadelphia, she is present on the 1940 US census living with her father (also George William Duncan) and her mother who is also named Louise. The address is 1907 E. Pacific Street.

That's where I've come to a juddering halt having tried a couple of Philadelphia genealogical societies, neither of which has responded. I'd very much like to find Louise if she is still living or her family. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

S
Sucher

Re: Finding Louise Duncan

Postby MoVidger » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:23 pm

When my friend discovered she had relatives from Philadelphia, she relied upon Philly newspapers. Newspapers.com have quite a few Philadelphia newspapers. They normally contain various birth, marriage, and death announcements (albeit brief).

Note: when searching, try not to put a name in quotes. These announcements tend to list the surname first (e.g. SMITH, John). Good luck.
MoVidger

Postby Sucher » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:15 pm

I'll try that. Thanks Mo

S
Sucher

Postby MoVidger » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:20 pm

Update: Louise Duncan (b 1935) was Louise M COLWELL as of 2006, living in Berwyn, PA.
Her mother Louise M Duncan (nee Gaul) passed away in Feb 2006, age 93. The latter was living in Berwyn at time of death. A funeral mass was held on 20 Feb 2006 at St Monica's Church in Berwyn.
MoVidger

Postby Sucher » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:34 pm

Mo, thank you so much. Certainly you found the right family. May I ask where you found this?

Kind Regards

S

PS I just found the Colwell family in White Pages and living in Berwyn !!
Sucher

Postby MoVidger » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:34 pm

It's an old trick of mine. :D Check online memorial websites like Legacy.com when searching for modern day US relatives. They tend to include a brief obit for the deceased, and sometimes the person's living relatives leave online "tributes". Of course it helps to have a general idea where the deceased was living, particular if the surname isn't unusual.
MoVidger

Return to General research queries