Moderator Control Panel ]

Adil Ray's episode

Discuss the 14th series of the award-winning television programme, which will feature Charles Dance, Clare Balding, Fearne Cotton and more

Adil Ray's episode

Postby Rosemary Collins » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:52 am

Hello everyone!

I hope you're enjoying the series so far. The next episode, which airs at 9pm on BBC One on Thursday 27 July, features Adil Ray, writer and star of the sitcom Citizen Khan.

Adil identifies as Brummie, British, Muslim, Pakistani and African, and the show will follow him as he travels to Uganda and Kenya to trace his heritage, including a rumoured connection to East African royalty.

As ever, feel free to discuss this episode in the forum!
Rosemary Collins
Editorial Assistant
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine
Rosemary Collins

Re: Adil Ray's episode

Postby pete25 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:10 pm

I feel these programs are becoming less and less about searching their ancestry.
It's now, I feel, about a tour around places that their ancestors lived and came from.
I would like to see more referencing regarding where and how the records were obtained etc

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby Tabithabenef » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:31 pm

I enjoy it when they visit the places as it might be somewhere my ancestors went - but find they tend to spend far too long on one person only.

I would rather they explored more ancestors over the hour, and had more of a tree - gave some idea of how and where they found them, which records and spent less on what they did and how they did it.

Last years series was really good for that.

No idea who the person is tonight - not the kind of comedy I watch - so hope its an interesting story.

Edit

I have to admit - it wasn't that interesting for me and I actually fell asleep when watching the recording the next day.
Last edited by Tabithabenef on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tabithabenef

Postby Amazinggrace » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:05 pm

I also feel that too much time is spent on one person. Really didn't enjoy this episode at all. Think it's the first time ever to feel that.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby ksouthall » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:29 pm

I thought it was an interesting episode and the use of oral history, rather than paper records, shows how it is worth listening to family stories. I also thought that Adil Ray was a good person to take part as he showed a genuine interest in finding out about his past.
ksouthall

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2017