Moderator Control Panel ]

Missing burial record

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Missing burial record

Postby TraceyL » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:03 pm

My great grandfather Alexander Joseph King died on 19th January 1932 in Crewe, Cheshire. I have searched for years to find a burial record of some kind but it has always eluded me.
Deceased Online has just added the following to their online records:
• Coppenhall Cemetery - 10,400 records from 1861 to 2015
• Crewe Cemetery - 51,750 records from 1872 to 2016
• Crewe Crematorium - 52,100 records from 1954 to 2009
I have again done an extensive search checking for similar names and using wild cards to find this elusive burial record but to no avail. I am completely stumped. I am looking for some advice on knocking down this brick wall :?

Why can't I find a burial record? Any advice will be gratefully received as I really don't know where else to look. Thanks.
TraceyL

Re: Missing burial record

Postby junkers » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:31 pm

Perhaps he was buried in a churchyard.
junkers

Postby Sylcec » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:46 pm

Maybe he was cremated.
Sylcec

Postby MayHam » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:51 pm

Guessing you have already seen the following?

Deaths Mar (Quarter) 1932:
King Alexander J (age) 63
Nantwich vol. 8a page 470
Scan available - click to view
https://www.freebmd.org.uk

They say the Nantwich Registration District was abolished in 1937 to become part of the Crewe and West Cheshire Registration District. Sorry, I don't know what that means.
MayHam

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:29 am

Hm - I thought that this was me for a minute, because I've been doing exactly this.

If he's not in the Crewe Council books then the natural assumption is that he's buried in a church graveyard. The problem is that this may be too late for coverage in the Cheshire Collection on FindMyPast - not sure of the exact dates of coverage and in any case they will vary by church depending on which registers have been sent to Chester. He could, therefore, be listed in a burial register at Chester or still at the church.

In addition, there are a few non-conformist chapels in the area with their own graveyard, many of which are not in FindMyPast for any years.

Probably your best approach would be to see if there is a death notice in the local paper and if that says where he was to be buried. This would probably need someone to check microfilms.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:41 pm

A J KIng was C of E according to his army record (which we can currently see for free on fold3, in addition to it being on findmypast)
Did not get a good write up when discharged in 1893!

Mother given as Mary Chignell of Crewe. She seems to have died in 1931, age 89, and her burial is indexed on deceased online, 20th March. Three others in the grave.

Alexander was still single in 1911?
ianbee

Postby TraceyL » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Junkers - I have checked the main church records. Maybe he was buried in a more obscure place. Hubby says he could even have been given to medical science! :o
Sylcec - The records for Crewe Crematorium have just been uploaded to DeceasedOnline and I thought 'Great! I've cracked it' but I still cannot find a cremation record for him. :(
MayHam - Yes I have seen this thanks. I already have a copy of the Death Certificate. At least I know exactly when he died :D
AdrianB38 - It's nice to know I am not alone in my quest. He must be buried somewhere else but where? Nothing in the local paper (the family was quite poor!) :cry:
Ianbee - What a revelation! I didn't know about his army record. I have just downloaded it and you were quite right about him not getting a good write up. In fact the list of diseases and the crimes has shocked me :shock:
I had already checked Mary Chignell's grave. Her husband and her mother and father are the three other people buried with her.
Alex King looks like he is single in 1911 but the woman listed directly underneath him is my great grandmother. She was already married (but her husband ran away) so she hooked up with Alexander but could never marry him. Oh the scandal! :shock:
A huge thank you to each and every one of you for taking the time to check things out and reply to my post. I shall carry on with my quest and hope to smash down that brick wall one day.
TraceyL

Return to General research queries