Moderator Control Panel ]

Adopted Friend Needs To Trace His Mothers Family

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Adopted Friend Needs To Trace His Mothers Family

Postby Archieboy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Hello everyone. I'm new to this so please bear with me. A friend of mine, Peter Salt, has asked me to try and help find about his birthmother and if she had any other family.

Peter was actually born Bernard Rodgers at Derby Women's Hospital on December 29, 1948. His birth certificate shows that he was the (illegitimate?) son of Elsie Rodgers, who was a resident of the Church of England Mother and Baby Unit on Vernon Street, Derby (next to the hospital), at the time. Elsie did not give her age or where she was from originally, but I am reliable informed that she was single (unmarried) at the time.

The Mother and Baby Unit apparently took in girls aged between fourteen and twenty-nine (14-29), so that would indicate that she was born at any time between 1919 and 1934.

We know very little more about Elsie other than the fact that she was living at 11, Darley Avenue, Darley Dale, near Matlock, Derbyshire, as of June 1949, and was then employed as a telephonist for the County Fire Service. However, I understand that the Fire Service County Archive would not allow access to their records as it could not be proven that Elsie was deceased.

Using the Find My Past website I have trailed through all the births for an Elsie Rodgers between 1919 and 1934. There was an Elsie Rodgers born in Derby during March 1919, but I am again reliably informed that this was not Peter/Bernard's mother. I have cross-referenced these births with the so-called 1939 "census", but this has thrown up a whole number of possibilities, none of which gives me the slightest clue as to whether any of them might be "our" Elsie. Needless to say, I have also looked at the possibility of a marriage for her after 1948, but again there are a great many and all outside of the Derbyshire area.

I did put it to Peter that Elsie may have been married, and that there was a marriage of an Elsie Barber to a Benjamin Rodgers in Derby during 1938. They had four children born 1939, 1944, 1947 and 1949 respectively. However, Peter was insistent that is mother was single at the time he was born.

Peter just wants to know who is mother was, where she was from, who her parents were, if she later married and if she had any other offspring. I am at a loss to know what else I can do to find this information for him, so I am turning to this site for help. Anyone information and assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to hearing from my fellow genealogists! Thank you.
Archieboy

Re: Adopted Friend Needs To Trace His Mothers Family

Postby KayFarndon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:45 pm

I was once asked to trace a birth mother and the first thing I did was to go into Genes Reunited and see whether anyone was looking for any of the names.

I have had a look for you and there is one person with a Bernard Rodgers, born Derbyshire 1948 listed. I had success within hours and I hope that you might have the same.

Any problems then get back in touch.
KayFarndon

Re: Adopted Friend Needs To Trace His Mothers Family

Postby brunes08 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:01 pm

It might be worth your while to google 'how to trace a birth mother in the UK'. This will lead you to the Government website concerning adoptions. You may be able to find some advice and guidance there.
brunes08

Return to General research queries