Moderator Control Panel ]

Clare Balding's episode

Discuss the 14th series of the award-winning television programme, which will feature Charles Dance, Clare Balding, Fearne Cotton and more

Clare Balding's episode

Postby Rosemary Collins » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:50 am

Hello everyone!

The third episode of Who Do You Think You Are? will air at 9pm on BBC One on Thursday 20 July.

It follows much-loved sports presenter Clare Balding as she investigates the secrets of her aristocratic family, including rumours about her great grandfather's sexuality, followed by a trip to America.

We'd love to hear how you enjoy this episode - please share your thoughts in the thread below!
Rosemary Collins
Staff Writer
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Re: Clare Balding's episode

Postby junkers » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:29 pm

I thought that when it started it would be another story of an aristocratic family and boring, but it did not at all. The story was good and the episode well presented and Clare even did some of her own research. It also covered history that some people might not be aware of.
junkers

Postby ChristopherHowell92 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:38 pm

I'm sorry but this episode must go down as one of the most boring of all time!

The story began as a slow trot along the gay route before finally, after almost half of the programme, opening up into something which did prove to be of some interest. Perhaps the second part should have been the whole programme.

When will we see how the research is carried out instead of the usual "take a look at this which you may find interesting" - some of us are still learning and find the lack of obvious information is a challenge.

Ten our of eight for this episode. Hope next month's will be more appealing.
ChristopherHowell92

Postby Daisy Isabella » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:24 pm

I really enjoyed this episode which took some completely unexpected twists and turns. I also think that some viewers tend to forget that the programme is intended for entertainment and not run as a 'how to do genealogy'. I'm not familiar with Clare Balding and many of the other people who are in this series, however, this does not matter to me as I just enjoy following their family lines and stories. I am an experienced family historian with over thirty years experience and all topics interest me regardless of whether or not I can relate any of them to my family.
Daisy Isabella

Postby KayFarndon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:13 am

I agree with Daisy Isabella, that this was quite an interesting episode. I am fairly familiar with Clare Balding and I thought that it might just tell me what I already knew, but when it finally got going I was surprised how the time flew and what an interesting tale it told.

It was good to be able to see how far back her line went and also to experience her highs when she was confronted with new information about her ancestors.

I also agree with ChristopherHowell92, that there is no indication as to how information is located. I thought that this was very remiss with Craig Revel Horwood's episode, as I know someone who is just starting to research Australian ancestors and has no idea where to look for help, never mind how to locate information.

I am also not impressed with the reading of paperwork in the street, in the rain, for goodness sake.

One thing which seems prominent with this series is the slant towards occupations, should the programme be retitled, 'What Do You Think They Did?'
KayFarndon

Postby Amazinggrace » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:07 pm

Didn't enjoy this episode.The second half was better than the first.She seemed determined to find a gay ancestor.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby richaldis » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:21 pm

I thought this was so boring. The trip to the US was totally unnecessary as almost information she found out is available online - a lot on Wikipedia tbh. I'm amazed that if she had been interested she hadn't checked all this before. In terms of her gay ancestor this has all been researched and published - she could have read a book.

The strength of this programme is learning things or sources that are not readily available. This episode failed to give us either.
richaldis

Postby Tabithabenef » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:04 pm

I agree with a lot of the posts.

I too think she was determined to find a GAY connection - it stood out and had far too much emphasis placed on the idea he may have been a gay politician. I think she was looking for a bit of scandal , when in fact it could have been a very sweet love story.

However I did enjoy the programme and as usual - I did learn at least one thing and I believe myself to be quite experienced in family history.

I liked the New York story - its always interesting to go far back to name origins.

I had never heard of Claire Balding - probably because I dont tend to watch Horse racing.
Tabithabenef

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2017