Moderator Control Panel ]

This is a mystery to me!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

This is a mystery to me!

Postby Vondick » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:05 pm

The family I am researching, for family member, has a boy born in 1939. On looking at the online records, there appeared to be two boys with the same parents' surnames registered in the the same quarter of 1939 one on page 156 and one on page 156a. So, I ordered both certificates! They arrived on Friday and are identical!!! They show that the boy was registered (first names) as JG but in the final column of the certificate it shows that the names as re-registered as ND. Can anyone shed a light on how I can find out how this happened. Did Mum say JG and Dad said no,no it's to be ND??? Any ideas about how I can find out?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum.
Yvonne Hensman
Vondick

Re: This is a mystery to me!

Postby AntonyM » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:06 pm

It sounds like a simple change of given names. These can be changed on a registration for up to 12 months - usually it is done after a baptism in another name (but can just be a change of mind).

On older certificates the new names appear in column 10, on more recent ones in space 17.

There is only one entry, but indexed twice - hence you get identical certificates.The extra index entry ending in "a" means it was an occasional copy submitted by the local registrar after the change.
AntonyM

Re: This is a mystery to me!

Postby Vondick » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:17 pm

Many thanks! You are right - I answered my own question! I guess I was hoping for some intrigue! Ha,ha!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum.
Yvonne Hensman
Vondick

Return to General research queries