Moderator Control Panel ]

Another Grandfather Mystery?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Another Grandfather Mystery?

Postby Sucher » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:21 am

brunes08 wrote:It was very common for immigrants from Eastern Europe and Germany to Anglicise their names in order to 'fit in'. I have several friends with Jewish backgrounds who came from Russian, Poland and Germany during the latter part of the 19th century who did just that. It was done even more so in the early part of the 20th century with the anti-German feelings in the lead up to the First World War. Jewish families had suffered persecution in their home lands for a long, long time.

Sadly, the prejudice lasted for a long time. I found Eva's grandchildren (my second cousins) after years of searching. Their father changed his surname in the 1950's in order to get a job. That was after he was demobbed following his Army service in WWII.
S
Sucher

Postby Sucher » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:08 pm

No pressure then!

S
Sucher

Postby sandyscott21 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:09 pm

Sucher wrote:
Thank you for your diligence, I never thought to look at neighbours. My grandmother's sister's marriage was in the name of Schwartzman, my grandmother as just Schwartz. Maybe my grandfather abbreviated his name too. In a wonderful little book (fiction) called 'The Aggrevations of Minnie Ash' there is a funny story about a cobbler on his way to England. He decided to call himself something like John Smith because it sounded really English. When asked his name by the immigration officer, he said "Shoyne Vergessen" which is Yiddish for "I've forgotten already". He was duly registered and thereafter went by the name of Sean Ferguson. Perhaps something like that happened here.

Regards

What a great story on names! I'll have to try and find the book....kindle?
(Sorry i can't help with your research)

Cheers
Sandy
sandyscott21

Postby Sucher » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:42 am

Sandy - just buy it and laugh. On Amazon Kindle @ £2.99
Sucher

Postby sandyscott21 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:35 pm

Sucher wrote:Sandy - just buy it and laugh. On Amazon Kindle @ £2.99

done. :)