Moderator Control Panel ]

Clare/Hibbert/Hawthornthwaite: Manchester, Salford

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Clare/Hibbert/Hawthornthwaite: Manchester, Salford

Postby DianaCanada » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:53 pm

Hagershorn wrote:
Thank you. Yes, this does look like my Richard. I believe the bp is Whittle le Woods. I looked for a marriage for George Thorp and an Elizabeth and found a likely match in 1860, Manchester to an Elizabeth Watson, which matches the witness name on Richard and Ellen's marriage in 1857. So it looks like Elizabeth might have been a widow or an acknowledged illegitimate child of Richard's. No sign of Ellen, though!
DianaCanada

Whittle le Woods is about a mile or so from Brindle. My Cheshire friends have Richard Hay... from Brindle fairly well documented. He was born in 1807 son of John and Bella Hay... He married Ann Rigby in 1830 in Preston. Of interest, I have found an Ann Watson who married a Henry Rigby In August 1825. (Lancashire on line project). The name Watson has cropped up earlier in the thread. A Henry Rigby died in 1826 in Standish possibly leaving Ann to marry Richard in 1830. I have found an Ann Hay... of the right age died in Nov 1831 (Lancashire on line) buried in Mitton, but living in Preston. This would leave Richard free to marry Ellen. I haven't followed up Elizabeth daughter of Richard Haw... yet but feel that she is Ann's daughter. If she used the name Watson it would all fit.

Good hunting
John Haw...

Thank you, John, you may be something on to something here. The marital status for Richard to Ellen (bachelor) may have been a recording mistake.
Now if I could just find Ellen and her two youngest Hibbert children in the 1861 census I would be a very happy familyhistorian!
I will certainly add your data on Richard to my programme as a possible origin for Richard.
One fly in the ointment - Elizabeth Watson who married George Thorp and is listsed on the 1871 with Richard as her "father" would have been born after Ann Watson Rigby Haythornthwaite died, so she would have any connection to the Richard who married Ann.
DianaCanada

Postby Hagershorn » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:12 pm

One fly in the ointment - Elizabeth Watson who married George Thorp and is listsed on the 1871 with Richard as her "father" would have been born after Ann Watson Rigby Haythornthwaite died, so she would have any connection to the Richard who married Ann.

You absolutely right. I hadn't followed Elizabeth up when I set the last post. Ah well , shall keep looking. I am certain though that Richard is the Brindle Richard. We think he has been seen in Bolton, working as an excavator, which I think is where Elizabeth was born. I'll keep at it.

J
Hagershorn

Postby DianaCanada » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:29 pm

Thank you for your help, much appreciated! D.
DianaCanada

Previous

Return to General research queries