Moderator Control Panel ]

Monument inscriptions / Gravestones info in Tottenham

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Monument inscriptions / Gravestones info in Tottenham

Postby Simon45 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi all ,
Is there anywhere where I can find out a record of grave locations / monument inscriptions ( MI ) in Tottenham , north London ?

Is there a web site or records kept of names and location in cemetery ?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Simon45

Re: Monument inscriptions / Gravestones info in Tottenham

Postby carobradford » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:07 pm

You don't mention what kind of date you are looking for. If it was pre 1858, then the burial may well have been in the churchyard of All Hallows, Tottenham. The PRs are at the LMA and available via Ancestry. If after that date things get very, very much trickier. Your ancestor may be in Tottenham Cemetery (most likely) or (if after 1912) in Tottenham Park Cemetery, which is actually in the London Borough of Enfield, or in any other cemetery of the family's choosing (if they were of sufficient means to afford a private burial - very many people were not).

So far as I am aware, there is no record of MIs of either of the above two cemeteries. They are both now privately run and you will need to contact the companies concerned directly for a search of the burial registers. I should warn you that they will almost certainly charge you quite a substantial fee for this and probably require a date of death before they look.

Generally speaking, finding burial locations for ancestors in the London area is a major challenge and worth pursuing only for reasons of strong sentiment. It is extremely rare to turn up any information of genealogical value that cannot be found through other research routes at considerably less cost in time and money!
carobradford

Postby brunes08 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:19 am

Just on the off-chance that you might find something to help, try entering the details you know into www.deceasedonline.com. This is a growing data base of burial sites around the country. Using this site, I have found the last resting places of nine members of my family who had died before 1925 in various London boroughs.
brunes08

Postby ianbee » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:23 pm

Tottenham Park Cemetery registers 1912-1952 can be browsed on FamilySearch. They don't appear to be indexed. It is only a small cemetery though. Has burials of people from all over north east London, and some from further beyond.
1912 - 1929
https://familysearch.org/search/film/00 ... at=1161431
and from 1929 - 1952
https://familysearch.org/search/film/00 ... at=1161431
(at the end has burials from October 1981 onwards)
ianbee

Postby Simon45 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:45 pm

Many thanks for all the info and answers :)

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Simon45

Return to General research queries