Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Artillery related help please

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Royal Artillery related help please

Postby KeithLee » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:24 pm

I'm looking to trace my Grandfather's military records and just wonder if anyone would be kind enough to help me out....

Leonard George LEE Born 12 May 1909. Died 1994

Joined RA sometime in and around 1940, served as a AA Gunner in North Africa. ? wounded (or injured) later in the war, so ended up as a guard for POWs, so the story goes.

Sadly, I don't have his Army number

Sadly, his medals were lost in a house move many years ago, so I want to replace them - at least with replicas. But there was/is some mention of him also being cited for some sort of medal that he refused to collect (he had already been demobbed, so wanted nothing more to do with the Army). I've not been able to find out anything more, but it would be interesting to prove/disprove this.

Any help, even if just to point me towards the right people, would be great.

Cheers,

Keith
KeithLee

Re: Royal Artillery related help please

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:55 pm

Like all post WW1 soldiers, his detailed records are only available from the Ministry of Defence. Seehttps://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Depending on when he died, you may need to get the permission of the next of kin, as noted in the link above, to get the full details - I think that I have read that even then, you need to specify that you want the full details.

I am unsure about the refused to collect story - the campaign medals were

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:04 am

Like all post WW1 soldiers, his detailed records are only available from the Ministry of Defence. Seehttps://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Depending on when he died, you may need to get the permission of the next of kin, as noted in the link above, to get the full details - I think that I have read that even then, you need to specify that you want the full details.

I am unsure about the refused to collect story - the campaign medals were issued some time after the war had ended and you had to apply yourself. Hence, a lot of veterans apparently couldn't be bothered. So if he did have the campaign medals, I don't quite understand when this other might have been awarded. So far as I know, all campaign medals were issued together - any bravery award should be in the London Gazette. It's not obvious how it might all stick together. Possible, don't get me wrong - but not immediately obvious....

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby KeithLee » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:29 am

Thanks Adrian.

Re. the medals, I've never found anything Gazetted for him, so it might just be a myth.

What I did find online was the RA attestation records (Find My Past), but not knowing his army number (and there being a few LG Lee's) I didn't want to waste a subscription only to find he was either not one of them, or that the record had no useful info.

I've spent enough on subscriptions chasing dead ends already, if I'm honest.

Do you know if the attestation records are worth spending money getting? I believe the records post 1920 can be very brief .....
KeithLee

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:09 am

The earlier post 1920 records have a useful level of detail but up at that end, there's very little there and virtually no ability to tell your guy from anyone else with the same name.

By far the best way is to go to the MoD with the next of kin's permission (assuming that it's needed) and ask for the full set of records. Providing you have his name and birthdate, they should be able to work round the lack of a service number - or so I understand, never having done this myself.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:06 pm

Seems to be on the 1939 Register with wife Louisa in Yiewsley and West Drayton U.D.
At 41 Blunts Avenue, Sipson
But d-o-b on that 12 May 1908
Public Works Labourer and Air Raid Warden (Full T.., Time?)

He is not on the Civilian Residence electoral register in 1945, Spelthorne, Polling District G, Harmondsworth east. (Louisa J Lee at 41 Blunts Avenue)
He is though on the 1945 Service Register.
He is on the Civilian Register with Louisa in 1946

Three Leonard George Lees in the Royal Artillery attestations on fmp
No. 936393, apparently attested 1939, discharged, Z Res, 7/5/46
No. 1586739, attested 1940, discharged Z/T, 19/6/46
No. 1833569, attested 1941, discharged (overage) Z/T Reserve, 22/5/46
ianbee

Postby KeithLee » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:25 pm

Hi Ian - that's deffo my Grandad. Louisa was my Nan.

Maybe my stumbling block has been the incorrect DOB listed!

Of the 3 attestations, the 1940 one seems to equate with the info I have - I don't suppose you happen to know what sort of info those records have on them, other than Army number, do you?

Thanks very much for your help on this - truly appreciated!
KeithLee

Postby ianbee » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi
That is the problem, there really isn't any other info I'm afraid.
Yes, there are little bits and pieces sometimes, but not with those Leonards. Unless Adrian spots something. The second one might be most likely, the third one probably ruled out. But I'm not sure that we can rule out the first one entirely (were there two numbers for the men on that page?)
Ian
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:47 pm

Nothing else that I can see - 936393 does indeed have two numbers as he's been assigned an 8-digit number to replace his 6-digit number. And I have absolutely no idea why - I thought that maybe the 8-digit was a later scheme but not according to http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/army-number-block-allocations.4837/ as the RA have 8 digit numbers (possibly as overflow?) in that scheme, as well as 6 and 7-digit.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby KeithLee » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:56 am

Cheers for the help guys.

The lack of info on these records is why I didn't want to subscribe to these services. A lot of them promise all sorts, but don't actually offer much in reality.

I think I'll have to just write direct to the MOD, as per the original suggestion.

Really grateful for the help anyway :-)
KeithLee

Next

Return to Military help