Moderator Control Panel ]

Overseas Burials

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Overseas Burials

Postby Treen Family » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:37 pm

Good afternoon
After some research and assistance via BMD I managed to find that my Great Grandfather John Edward Morris, a sailor/sea captain died and was subsequently buried in Callao Peru (24 May 1908). Has anybody encountered a similar situation where a relative has passed away abroad and needed to find more information . Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

May I take this opportunity to thank you for any assistance I may receive which is greatly appreciated :)
Treen Family

Re: Overseas Burials

Postby Cachalot6972 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:34 am

Possibly an enquiry to the British embassy in Peru on belima@fco.gov.uk might be of some help - and also the Rootsweb message board for Peru...
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:37 am

FindMyPast have a collection "British Nationals Died Overseas 1818-2005". This is an index to death certificates for people dying abroad or on ship. However note that reporting is entirely voluntary - though I'm not sure about the maritime deaths in that respect.

They do have an index for a John Morris died 1908 aged 48, at sea on board the Frances Fisher.

If this is your chap then the GRO will have the death certificate. Two points though - not totally sure how you get a copy - presumably via the usual GRO site but maybe a slightly different option there. Secondly, I would not be optimistic that you'll get much more than the above - you'll get the cause of death but possibly no more. Certainly no burial info.

It is possible, of course, that you already have this certificate!

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby peter kent » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:37 pm

There is a National Archives research guide on "Births, marriages and deaths at sea or abroad".

See http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help ... or-abroad/
peter kent

Return to General research queries