Moderator Control Panel ]

Death: Mary Ann Spencer 1863 (Huddersfield, Yks.)

If you have birth, marriage or death records you no longer need, help other users by swapping them here

Death: Mary Ann Spencer 1863 (Huddersfield, Yks.)

Postby DianaCanada » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:47 pm

Mary Ann Spencer, died 6 Feb 1863, Engine Bridge, Huddersfield, aged 49. Wife of Benjamin Spencer.

Contact me for more info or if you would like the certificate.
DianaCanada

Re: Death: Mary Ann Spencer 1863 (Huddersfield, Yks.)

Postby ianbee » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:26 am

Buried 10 February 1863, Huddersfield Cemetery
Wife of Benjamin Spencer, Cloth Dresser
Abode Folley Hall
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cat=485337
ianbee

Postby DianaCanada » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:11 pm

ianbee wrote:Buried 10 February 1863, Huddersfield Cemetery
Wife of Benjamin Spencer, Cloth Dresser
Abode Folley Hall
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cat=485337

Thank you for adding this ianbee! I did get the correct certificate for my ancestor Mary Ann Lounds/Lownds/Lounce (widow or perhaps deserted wife of Joseph Ford who then married Thomas Summers Spencer. She died in 1862 but no idea where she is buried.
DianaCanada

Postby JaneyH » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:09 pm

I realise this is a long shot, but I have many ancestors who lived in Huddersfield. From the 1860s onwards the "new" cemetery would most likely have been Egerton Cemetery. It was opened because churchyards were full (as was the case in many towns that grew rapidly during the Industrial Revolution).

Following a post on the West Yorkshire page of Rootschat a couple of years ago I understand that the local library holds records of burials there. A kindly genealogist there found not only a record of my 3x great-grandfather's burial but even photographed the headstone for me.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby DianaCanada » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:43 pm

JaneyH wrote:I realise this is a long shot, but I have many ancestors who lived in Huddersfield. From the 1860s onwards the "new" cemetery would most likely have been Egerton Cemetery. It was opened because churchyards were full (as was the case in many towns that grew rapidly during the Industrial Revolution).

Following a post on the West Yorkshire page of Rootschat a couple of years ago I understand that the local library holds records of burials there. A kindly genealogist there found not only a record of my 3x great-grandfather's burial but even photographed the headstone for me.

Janey, thank you for this information. I do not have deep Huddersfield roots, Mary Ann came from Mobberley (or Knutsford), Cheshire and her husband Joseph Ford was from Halifax. Her daughter ended up in Burnley, Lancs. and son in London. There is a missing son (along with J Ford who according to family lore left for "America" and was never seen again) who disappears after 1871 census. Mary Ann's full or possibly half-brother, Edwin Irving/Irvin/Hervin became a policeman in Huddersfield and I found loads of mentions of him in the newspapers, very interesting reading! Unfortunately his line died out with early deaths of children and grandchildren.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
DianaCanada

Return to Unwanted certificates