Moderator Control Panel ]

Male Servants

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Male Servants

Postby DianaCanada » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:30 pm

My grandfather's first cousin was a butler. I have not been able to find him on the 1901 and 1911 but in 1939, which backs up the family story, he was a butler for Baron Clive Wigram who at that time was Lt. Gov. of Windsor Castle (Wigram had a long and distinguished career with the royal family).
Joseph Sydney Ford was born 24 Sep 1886 in Westminster, London to Joseph Ford and Mary Ann Weeks, from Yorkshire and Sussex respectively.
Joseph died 13 Nov 1952 at 62 Avenue Road, Hampstead - listed as butler. No idea who his employer was but am quite sure he was the owner of this upper end resident (from the looks of it on Google), not Joseph! I have had no luck finding out where Clive Wigram lived at the time, but he was still alive.

I would like to find out who Joseph worked for in 1901, 1911, and at the time of his death. There was a story in the family that he was also at Balmoral but I wrote to them well over 20 years ago and they had no record of any servants.

I am curious to find out how a young man from his background would have ended up in such a high ranking position as a servant. If anyone has any ideas about male servant training, etc. would love to hear about them, or if there is a source of information.

Thank you!
Last edited by DianaCanada on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
DianaCanada
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:37 am

Re: Male Servants

Postby jakval » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:30 pm

1901 census Hammersmith,London RG13/48 folio102 page32

Joseph T. Ford 1887 Westminster.

Matches parents names + birthplaces
jakval
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:27 pm

Re: Male Servants

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:48 pm

For your info - FindMyPast has http://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/world-records/search-all-uk-records/special-collections/the-royal-archives-collection and http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/royal-household-staff-1526-1924 (be sure to open up the "Discover more about the Royal Household Staff records" bit). The staff lists only go up to the 1920s, however.

I didn't see him on a swift glance but he might have been employed there after the cut-off or alternatively he might have been employed by someone else who stayed there, taking Joseph with him and the story's got ever so slightly shifted - like Lord Wigram, of course!
Adrian
AdrianB38
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Male Servants

Postby trace » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:18 pm

London Electoral Registers

1939 65 Buckingham Gate, Westminster, SW1
Wigram Clive (Lord)
Wigram Nora Mary (Lady)

1957 62 Avenue Road, Hampstead
Wigram Lord Clive


1939 Register Norman Tower, New Windsor M.B.
Clive Wigram
Nora M Wigram
Mary A A Harvey
Joseph Ford dob 24 Sep 1886 BUTLER
trace
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:40 pm

Re: Male Servants

Postby DianaCanada » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:08 am

jakval wrote:1901 census Hammersmith,London RG13/48 folio102 page32

Joseph T. Ford 1887 Westminster.

Matches parents names + birthplaces


Thank you!
DianaCanada
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:37 am

Re: Male Servants

Postby DianaCanada » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:13 am

AdrianB38 wrote:For your info - FindMyPast has http://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/world-records/search-all-uk-records/special-collections/the-royal-archives-collection and http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/royal-household-staff-1526-1924 (be sure to open up the "Discover more about the Royal Household Staff records" bit). The staff lists only go up to the 1920s, however.

I didn't see him on a swift glance but he might have been employed there after the cut-off or alternatively he might have been employed by someone else who stayed there, taking Joseph with him and the story's got ever so slightly shifted - like Lord Wigram, of course!


Thank you for this, Adrian, I'm a subscriber but had no idea the site had these records. I couldn't find Joseph there so most likely he was not part of a royal household at that time.
DianaCanada
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:37 am

Re: Male Servants

Postby DianaCanada » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:16 am

trace wrote:London Electoral Registers

1939 65 Buckingham Gate, Westminster, SW1
Wigram Clive (Lord)
Wigram Nora Mary (Lady)

1957 62 Avenue Road, Hampstead
Wigram Lord Clive


1939 Register Norman Tower, New Windsor M.B.
Clive Wigram
Nora M Wigram
Mary A A Harvey
Joseph Ford dob 24 Sep 1886 BUTLER


Thank you, Trace! I had the 1939 information but VERY happy to see the electoral registers confirming that Joseph was still in Lord Wigram's employ when he died in 1952.
DianaCanada
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:37 am


Return to General research queries


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests