Moderator Control Panel ]

Ancestry.com and Ancestry Uk

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Ancestry.com and Ancestry Uk

Postby Sucher » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:41 am

With the help of forum members, I have found possible deceased relatives in the United States. So far, I have managed with the Ancestry UK site and FamilySearch. If I take this further to find living relatives, will the US site provide more matches and information? I understand that to view certain records not visible on the UK site, I'd need either a Worldwide subscription or a month's worth of US membership at $19.99. For example, I cannot find relevant immigration records on UK, will I have a better chance on US?

Any other sources of information on US genealogy that would help, I would appreciate the details.

Thanks

S
Sucher

Re: Ancestry.com and Ancestry Uk

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:36 pm

The .com and .co.uk "sites" for Ancestry are just gateways. The data behind them is exactly the same whether you go through .com or .co.uk.

Access to American data needs a different subscription, as you realise, but you can buy that subscription through the .co.uk site.

For American records, don't forget the FamilySearch site on https://familysearch.org, which is free. Some of the US data on FamilySearch is confined to indexes with the image of the actual records being on Ancestry - though if you have access to a Family History Centre of the Mormon church, you can see the stuff for free there.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:29 pm

Further to Adrian's comments, there are also some freely available 'unindexed' film images on Family search. These are accessed by the 'Catalog' menu on main page. Enter the name of the place you are looking for, then select 'Online' then enter. If you are looking for Christening, Marriages or burials, select 'Church Records', to see what is available. Whilst some film images are only available to view at Family History centres as Adrian says, some are also available to browse on-line.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby ianbee » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Have you seen George's death certificate?
Buried in a catholic cemetery. Is that a worry? Middle initial misread? Age is 63
Name: George N Duncan
Event Type: Burial
Burial Date: 12 Jan 1934
Burial Place: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Organization Name: New Cathedral Cemetery, 2nd & Butler Streets
Source Citation: Historical Society of Pennsylvania; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Collection Name: Historic Pennsylvania Church and Town Records
Source Information: Ancestry.com. Pennsylvania and New Jersey, Church and Town Records, 1669-1999
Attachments
George Duncan 1934.jpg
George Duncan 1934.jpg (238.18 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
ianbee

Postby Sucher » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:59 pm

I found the death certificate Ian, thank you for looking Yes, the Catholic burial may be a problem but his wife Mary Orr came from Ireland and was probably Catholic, she too was buried in the same cemetery in 1913.

I am still awaiting the British birth certificate of George's father from the GRO, any day soon. I now know that the G W Duncan had two daughters, Elizabeth and Jane and a son also George William born around 1907, he died in 1971 address at death same as his father who died 1934. Jane appears to have died in 1922 but Elizabeth was living with her brother at the time of the 1940 census.

G W Duncan III married Louise maiden name unknown. And they had a daughter also Louise born 1935. Hopefully, this is 'my family', the birth certificate may confirm. So, I thought that I may be closing in on living relatives hence my question about the two Ancestry sites. If the data is common to both then there doesn't seem much point in subscribing further.

Thanks again, wish I had found this forum sooner.

Regards
Sucher

Postby Sucher » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:13 pm

Thank you Jo, Adrian and Mick

S
Sucher

Postby Sucher » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:35 pm

I'm going to post this on two threads. This and the one about George Duncan born about 1827 as they are related.

My first post here on the other thread was about my 2 x grandfather, George William Duncan - born about 1827. This is still work in progress. Then, I tried to find what happened to his son born 1869. I've received so much help and I think without a doubt it's been resolved. Many (huge) thanks to ianbee who found a Philadelphia death record of a GW Duncan who died in 1934, born 1870, mother Elizabeth, that fits, birthday 18 July. Well, today the British birth certificate arrived and the birthdate is 18 JULY 1869!
I think I can live with the one year disparity given his year of immigration has been given on census returns as both 1886 and 1887. So, not only have I found thei answer to a mystery, I've found that he had a granddaughter Louise b. 1935 who may well be living. The next step is to try to find her or her children and hopefully make contact.

I'm delighted so thanks once again

S
Sucher

Return to General research queries