Moderator Control Panel ]

place in Somerset

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

place in Somerset

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:49 am

If you know her maiden name, you could try looking for suitable christenings in Somerset, and see if the results can narrow down your search area.
Remember, the enumerator was based in Bury, so unlikely to know Somerset well, so wrote down what he thought he heard, which may be completely different from what was said. E.g. If someone today heard 'Tinmouth', would they realise it was spelt Teignmouth or Clanethly was spelt Llanelli?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Re: place in Somerset

Postby carobradford » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:29 pm

"I can't help wondering whether the enumerator might have been a bit deaf?"

It didn't/doesn't work that way. The UK census has always been a written survey. Although there is no doubt that enumerators had to offer assistance to households where no one was literate enough to manage the form, it was not their specific job to ask questions, just to deliver the household schedules, collect them and transcribe the information thereon into their summary books. The enumerator would not have "written down what he heard", but copied across what he read.
carobradford

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:19 pm

Carobradford,
Whilst you may be right in that they (enumerator) only offered assistance, if the household were illiterate, someone had to complete the forms for them, and I guess a lot of the time that person was the enumerator. Whoever it was, they had to interpret what they heard and write it down.
Exactly the same principle applies to Parish registers and GRO certificates, where the spoken word was interpreted and written down. A good example can be seen with my own ancestors whose mother had the surname Cadey. I have seen it as Cadey, Cady, Keadey etc.

Mick Loney

Postby ianbee » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:52 pm

Less info in the 1841 census of course, but a really fascinating, must read article by Donald Davis in The Local Historian (May 2013), "The householders’ schedules in the 1841 census"
A study of a box of surviving original census schedules from Shropshire
http://www.balh.org.uk/uploads/tlh-down ... y-2013.pdf
ianbee

Postby carobradford » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:51 am

Fascinating indeed! Very interesting to see hard statistics about the proportion of schedules completed by householders, neighbours and enumerators and confirms the validity of my assertion that misreading of poor handwriting resulted in some of the anomalies we find in the census data on which we have to rely.

This has practical implications for the strategies we use when searching for evidence of our ancestors in historical documents. As has been pointed out, PRs and civil registration relied entirely on oral contributions from the individuals involved in the event, so "alternative" spellings are the logical thing to be on the look out for. Census enumerators' books pose the additional challenge of being transcribed from potentially ambiguous handwriting, so "soundex" and normal spelling variants are of no help and the judicious use of wild cards comes into its own.
carobradford

Postby woodchal » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:45 pm

Priddy?
woodchal

Postby JMcK » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:12 am

hmm. They don't really look like Ds
I've been practicing my Zummerzet but this woman lived a peripatetic life in the USA from 1831 to about 1844 as well as in a variety of places in England, so goodness knows what her accent was like!

Thank goodness she is a step-branch so I don't HAVE to find her. I just don't like not knowing!
JMcK

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:31 pm

I too thought of Priddy ( sounds like pretty?), but couldn't find it combined with 'water'

Mick Loney

Postby Sucher » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Jo

I found this site but went no further.

https://curiousfox.com

S
Sucher

Postby meekhcs » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:54 am

http://www.sdfhs.org/ this is the website for The Somerset and Dorset Family History Society they may be worth an email
meekhcs

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries