Moderator Control Panel ]

Digitised FamilySearch microfilms

Found any online record sets or tools that have helped your family history research? Share your discoveries here

Re: Digitised FamilySearch microfilms

Postby DarrenP » Fri May 03, 2019 6:29 am

Interestingly some digitized microfilms are available but only through a catalog place search. I discovered this when their Devon Bishops Transcripts collection didn't give me records I thought they would have. By going to the place and clicking on the icon I brought up the Bishop's Transcript images.
Also interesting is most Devon parish records are not available (yet). Some are but only occasionally seemingly.
DarrenP

Postby Mick Loney » Fri May 03, 2019 12:04 pm

Darren,
A lot of FS images have been available for a while now via their catalogue. A parish that has not yet been transcribed by FS is of course not searchable, so browsing the images images may be the only way to proceed.

e.g. St Elphin, Warrington, whose images are available in the FS catalogue, have not been transcribed by FS yet, but we’re fortunate that they have been transcribed by others ( e.g. Lancashire OPC website), so by using both sites, one can get to the image one wants.

For the past year or so, whenever an image has not been available via my current subscription site, I have got into the habit of checking their availability via FS Catalogue.You’d be amazed how often I’ve struck lucky.
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:01 pm

And by the way, with Devon, there are Parish Registers not online, because the parish won't allow it. However, in some cases, those parishes have Bishops' Transcripts which are owned by the Diocese, who are happy with them being online in FamilySearch. Check the FamilySearch catalogue for that parish, as suggested above.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby JaneyH » Fri May 03, 2019 5:48 pm

Thanks for the tip, Adrian. I have loads of ancestors in Devon and for the most part I use FMP’s collection of parish records. It’s always good to have alternative though!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri May 03, 2019 6:52 pm

JaneyH wrote:... I have loads of ancestors in Devon and for the most part I use FMP’s collection of parish records. ...

Some of the Devon PRs that are not online elsewhere are on the Devon FHS site. (And yes, that is advertising! ;) )

While sorting through my Devonian period ancestors, I did find two parishes, Molland and Knowstone, where the comparison between BTs and PRs was best described as chaos. See
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/Knowstone/KnowstonePRs
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/Molland/MollandPRs
Clearly the parish priest had not taken the Genealogy 101 Class where he would have been told that BTs are supposed to be a copy of the PRs. Other parishes may or may not be equally chaotic.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Previous

Return to Useful resources