Moderator Control Panel ]

Missing Mother and Son - Urquhart, Pollard

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Missing Mother and Son - Urquhart, Pollard

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:58 pm

My apologies for this being so long, wanted to include what I know and not send any kind researchers off looking for data already discovered. I would love to find out what happened to a mother and son who appear to have led "interesting lives" as far as family history goes!

Mary Leonora Urquhart Davies Pollard (divorced wife of William Knowles Davies and disappeared wife of John Metcalfe Pollard) disappears after ca 1893.

It is apparent that Mary Leonora was born out of wedlock ca 1863 to Eliza Urquhart when Eliza was about 18, in Holloway, Islington, London. When Eliza married Edmund Burke Reeves (b. Ireland, seems to be from a landed gentry family), she was a spinster. She listed her father was William Urquhart, gentleman. Edmund had no father's name, but simply "deceased". They were both of St. Pancras. It is unlikely Edmund was Mary Leonora's father, as she was about five at the time, but it is possible. He is listed as her "father" on 1881 census when she was 18.

In the divorce records on Ancestry, Mary Leonora and William Knowles Davies’s marriage certificate is provided – it gives Hugh J. Urquhart as her father, deceased, gentleman: wonder who he might be. No indication that Mary and William had any children. A few years after the divorce Mary is the executor for William’s estate. John Metcalfe Pollard obtained a divorce in 1893 and he became Mary's second husband.

Mary and William were divorced in 1890. On January 25, 1891 she had a son, acknowledged by John Metcalfe Pollard. The son was named John Leslie. John Metcalfe Pollard (Jr.) and Mary Leonora were living in Wimbledon when John Leslie was born. When they had him baptized on 4 Sep 1892 at St. John’s, Fulham they gave their address as 65 Chelverton Road, Putney. During the Jun Q of 1893 John and Mary were married in Wandsworth district and also during that quarter Mary gave birth to their second son, Edmund Metcalfe Pollard, on 9 May 1893 in Wandsworth district, which I believe includes Putney. I do not have Edmund’s birth certificate, but did find him living with the mother of John Metcalfe Pollard Jr.’s common-law wife in 1911. He was probably named for Mary Leonora’s stepfather (or perhaps, her biological father), Edmund Reeves.

John Metcalfe Pollard Jr. was married first to Alice Morris Lee and he and Mary Leonora married either just before or after the arrival of Edmund (Jun 1893 Wandsworth district). After the death of William Knowles Davies, Mary Leonora is administering his estate, which is dated April 1897. She is listed as the wife of John Metcalfe Pollard. After this point, I have found no further mention of Mary Leonora.

In 1901 her husband John is lodging in Battersea in the house of Alice Payne, along with other boarders. He is listed as married and an insurance agent. His sons from his second marriage, John Leslie (listed as Leslie) and Edmund (listed as Edward) are boarders at a school not far away in Chiswick. In 1911 John is living with Ada Mary Bridger and they have had five children together, one of them (Lois) having died as a baby. The other four children are Roslyn, Enid, Vaughan, and Elfreda. The children from his first marriage are John Metcalfe Lee, Alice Constance, Edward Cecil, Dorothy Sybil, and Elsie Gladys (born just before John took up with Mary Leonora).

John Leslie (again, listed as Leslie) is listed with his father and his common-law wife Ada in 1911. He is actually listed as John Metcalfe’s brother. Edmund is with Ada’s mother in Kent. Mary is nowhere to be found. Possibly she moved in with someone else, and took his surname. It seems unlikely she and John Metcalfe Pollard ever divorced, at least not that I could find in the Ancestry records.

Only good match for a death for her is Mary L. Pollard, d. Sep 1933, Lewisham, age 61. Probate records on Ancestry show that this individual was a Mary Louisa Pollard, spinster. Administration was granted to a Florence Pollard, spinster, so likely not “our Mary”.

Any advice on tracking Mary Leonora down would be highly appreciated!

I have also “lost” her son John Leslie Pollard. What is very interesting is that he married his father’s common-law wife, Ada Mary Bridger, during WWI, when he was a soldier. I thought this might have been a drunken lark (!) but did find them living together on electoral rolls until 1920 or so. John Leslie is listed in London telephone books at 33 Addison Mansions, W14 (Hammersmith?) from 1921-1924. I found no birth listings of Pollard/Bridger children so apparently they had no children. I have found John Leslie Pollard and Ada Mary Pollard together in 1939 Register, at 37 Roman Road, Hove, Sussex. No one else is listed with them.

On two of the Pollard daughters’ marriages (from John Metcalfe Pollard’s relationship with Ada) John Leslie is listed as the father of Enid and Elfrida. The latter is possible, having been born in 1910 but Enid is a few years older and if John Leslie was her father, he would have been about 15 when she was conceived and Ada close to 30. John Leslie, along with Ada, witnessed Enid’s marriage to Vernon Leslie Roscoe in Sussex in 1933.

Interestingly, when Ada Mary Pollard died (13 Apr 1957), she is noted as the widow of John METCALFE Pollard, solicitor. John Metcalfe Pollard died in the same place, Deal, Kent in 1937. Their daughter Roslyn (m. Reginald Charles Rowe) was the informant in both cases and I suspect they were living with or near her when they died. For whatever reason, Roslyn chose to identify her mother as the widow of her own father rather than her half-brother.

No sign of John Leslie Pollard after 1939. Any advice appreciated.
Last edited by DianaCanada on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
DianaCanada

Re: Missing Mother and Son - Urquhart, Pollard

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:32 pm

JMcKinnon wrote:Have you ruled out that John L. Pollard death age 65, Jan qtr Dublin North in 1957?

Thank you, no I haven't, could you tell me where you found this reference?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
DianaCanada

Re: Missing Mother and Son - Urquhart, Pollard

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:59 pm

Thank you. I will have a look at it. I did have a look at the 1911 census for Ireland but did not see any John L.'s of the same age, so it might be him.
DianaCanada

Return to General research queries