Moderator Control Panel ]

Born in the Caribbean in the late 18th century

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Born in the Caribbean in the late 18th century

Postby aitch2o » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:48 pm

My great great grand father, John Campbell, was born in 1788. His army record and his death certificate claim he was born in Scotland but I can find no trace of him there.

I have traced his fathers military record and I think he was serving in the Caribbean at the time. His name was Colin Campbell and his wife's name was Mary and she appears to have gone everywhere with him.

I have tried to look up births in the Caribbean but it needs a lot of exploring and I have got nowhere so far.

I would be grateful for any advice or tips.
aitch2o

Re: Born in the Caribbean in the late 18th century

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi, couldn't see a John Campbell birth.
There is a birth of a William Johnson Campbell in 1790 in Aberdeen,to
Colin Campbell and Mary Johnson.Could be a sibling?
Good luck
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby aitch2o » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi Grace and thank you for your response. Yes William Johnson Campbell was the next boy to be born to Colin and Mary. He was named after Marys grandfather who was Sir William Johnson, 1st Baronet of New-York.

I have a suspicion that John and his elder brother Guy were never told that they were born in the Caribbean as they both later claim to have been born in Scotland. I will double check on Aberdeen though.

Thanks again, Heather
aitch2o

Postby MaureenE » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:47 am

It sounds as though the family came from the upper classes, as the grandfather was a Baronet.

There is a section on the FIBIS Fibiwiki page British Army titled Landed Gentry genealogical sources,
which has links to a number of online Peerages or similar, one is called Walford’s The County Families of the United Kingdom; or, Royal Manual of the Titled and Untitled Aristocracy of England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland. Perhaps you may find some mention of the Campbell family, as the books contain historical information, not just related to the date of publication.
http://wiki.fibis.org/w/British_Army#La ... al_sources

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby aitch2o » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:18 pm

Thank you for that link Maureen. I have looked through it and still not found the answer to my puzzle.

Evenso part of my step family have tea planters and military connections to India and the link will be very useful to them.

Thanks again, Heather
aitch2o

Postby mouthfulofbees » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:49 pm

Got this on familysearch.org

Could this be him? There is also a christening record in 1789 for a John Campbell at St. Elizabeth, Jamaica. Hope this helps!

Suzanne

Name: John Campbell
Christening Date: 22 Jun 1787
Christening Place: Trelawny, Cornwall, Jamaica
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Colin Campbell
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I03814-2
System Origin: Jamaica-EASy
GS Film number: 1291671
Reference ID: p.18

Citing this Record:
"Jamaica Births and Baptisms, 1752-1920," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XNNR-WS3 : 8 December 2014), John Campbell, ; citing Jamaica, reference p.18; FHL microfilm 1,291,671.
mouthfulofbees

Postby mouthfulofbees » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:54 pm

Here's another one--they could be twins or the family may have been baptizing both of them at the same time upon joining a new parish.

Name: Angus Campbell
Christening Date: 22 Jun 1787
Christening Place: Trelawny, Cornwall, Jamaica
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Colin Campbell
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I03814-2
System Origin: Jamaica-EASy
GS Film number: 1291671
Reference ID: p.18

Citing this Record:
"Jamaica Births and Baptisms, 1752-1920," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XNNR-WS7 : 8 December 2014), Angus Campbell, ; citing Jamaica, reference p.18; FHL microfilm 1,291,671.
mouthfulofbees

Postby aitch2o » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:34 pm

Thank you for your postings mouthful of bees but neither fits.

I went over what I have and I am going to give up as even the so called reliable stuff is wrong.
The Oxford Dictionary of Biography has the father down as getting married in New York. He would have got married about a year before his first child was born in 1786, i.e. 1785. This would have been impossible as he was a British officer and New York was full of naughty rebels at the time. In fact they were married in Canada where the Johnsons had fled from some nasty man called Washington but the church has since burnt down and it suddenly occurred to me that if the boys Guy (1786) and John (1788) were born in Canada and had their christenings at the same church their parents got married in the records may have got burnt.

I think I must get back to TNA for a more detailed record of their fathers early time in the army.

Many thanks for the postings
aitch2o

Postby JMcK » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:15 am

When looking for things regarding the American War of Independence don't forget the American archives, (even though your guy was a scot)

eg, Footnote 2 of this letter at

https://founders.archives.gov/?q=%22col ... a=&r=9&sr=

You will have a better idea of whether the date makes it feasible to be him. Searching isn't helped by the fact that one of George Washington's deputies was named Colin Campbell !:-) but I am sure that one was not a "Scotch Prisoner"

Also at TNA http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... s/r/C12001 are the Sir Guy Carleton Papers. I found a lot of information in them about the Garrison at New York.
JMcK

Postby MoVidger » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Feel free to disregard my reply, as my recall of American Revolutionary War studies is very rusty.

Sir William Johnson (1st Baronet of New York) had a daughter named Mary. She married her cousin Guy Johnson/Johnstone -- who was also the nephew and private secretary of Sir William. Mary and Guy had a daughter named Mary Johnson. She became the wife of Lt General Colin Campbell. Their son was Major General Sir Guy Campbell (1786-1849). Sir Guy did have a connection to New York later on.

I don't know if Sir Guy had any siblings.

His father Colin Campbell enlisted with the 71st Regiment in 1771. Apparently, he married Mary Johnson while stationed in New York. In 1786 his regiment was ordered to Nova Scotia, where he stayed until the outbreak of the war with France. He served in the West Indies until 1795. Then he was sent to Ireland for many years. In 1811 he became Lt Governor of Gibraltar.

Colin's father was John Campbell of the Citadel, Deputy Keeper of the Great Seal of Scotland.
Last edited by MoVidger on Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoVidger

Next

Return to General research queries