Moderator Control Panel ]

Born in the Caribbean in the late 18th century

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Born in the Caribbean in the late 18th century

Postby aitch2o » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:10 pm

MoVidger wrote:Feel free to disregard my reply, as my recall of American Revolutionary War studies is very rusty.

Sir William Johnson (1st Baronet of New York) had a daughter named Mary. She married her cousin Guy Johnson -- who was also the nephew and private secretary of Sir William. Mary and Guy had a daughter named Mary Johnson. She became the wife of Lt General Colin Campbell. Their son was Major General Sir Guy Campbell (1786-1849). Sir Guy did have a connection to New York.

I don't know if Sir Guy had any siblings. His father Colin Campbell died in Gibraltar in 1814.

Yes, this is the family. In fact I have written a book for the family about Catherine Weissenberg who was the indentured servant of William Johnson and who actually had the child Mary who married Guy. William Johnson claimed to have been married to Catherine Weissenberg so that their son John could become the second Baronet of New York. The birthplace of their grandsons Guy and John are missing from my findings and it annoys me out of all proportion. Are you a descendant?
aitch2o

Postby MoVidger » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:47 pm

No, I'm not connected to the Campbell family. But the names rang a bell when I read your post. You see, I have direct ancestors who fought in the French & Indian War and War of Independence. One of my ancestors (Capt Henry Briggs) was part of the militia that took part in the Battle of Bunker Hill, as well as the Battles of Lexington and Concord.

Perhaps Nova Scotia would be a good starting point to check for your missing births, as Colin was stationed there from 1786 to circa 1790.

By the way, didn't Sir William have about 100 children...?? :shock:
Last edited by MoVidger on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MoVidger

Postby aitch2o » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Yes McVidger he is supposed to have had over 100 children and most of them were Mohawk or other Iroquois tribes. There are still feuds going on about who should have inherited the title and I got so fed up with the bad-mouthing about Catherine Weissenberg that I took it up with the House of Lords and got the original "evidence" that "proves" nobody should have inherited it as William Johnson was never married. I think the current Baronet of New York may well be the last.

The Johnsons were a prestigious family in Ireland and Sir William Johnson was the richest man in the State of New York when he died and Colin Campbell was descended from the Chief of the Breadalbane Campbells. So maybe this was an early case of American money marrying "old" skint Scottish aristocracy. And then it all got confiscated and my branch of the family got no compensation.

This is why I think that Guy and Colins births would have been carefully recorded. I think Nova Scotia will be my next area to search.
aitch2o

Postby aitch2o » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:09 pm

JMcK wrote:When looking for things regarding the American War of Independence don't forget the American archives, (even though your guy was a scot)

eg, Footnote 2 of this letter at

https://founders.archives.gov/?q=%22col ... a=&r=9&sr=

You will have a better idea of whether the date makes it feasible to be him. Searching isn't helped by the fact that one of George Washington's deputies was named Colin Campbell !:-) but I am sure that one was not a "Scotch Prisoner"

Also at TNA http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... s/r/C12001 are the Sir Guy Carleton Papers. I found a lot of information in them about the Garrison at New York.

Thank you so much for this link J McK. I am going to save this for after Wimbledon. The name Colin Campbell is so common both now and in the past it is a nuisance.
aitch2o

Postby MoVidger » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:13 pm

Some history books state Colin's marriage was in New York. However, there is this 1783 Canadian marriage record, but I've no idea if it relates to your family:

Nom époux: Campbell (capitaine)
Prénom époux: Colin
Nom épouse: Johnson
Prénom épouse: Mary
Année: 1783
Église: Christ Anglican Church (Montréal)
Confession: Anglican
Pagination 26
Source Centre d'archives de Montréal, CE601,S63

You will need the Ancestry Worldwide sub to view the related marriage records (or purchase pay-per-view credits, which may let you view global records). The record set to check is "Quebec, Canada, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1968".

Note: Colin's name may be spelled "Collin" in these records.
MoVidger

Postby aitch2o » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:43 pm

Thank you for this McVidger. I feel sure this is the one as I looked it up on Wiki whatsit and it says there was a fire in 1842 and this fits with what I have got from other sources. But it says that the original Cathedral was built in the nineteenth century so tomorrow I will email to get some more history.

Also many sources give Mary and or Colin (or often as you say, Collin) a middle name but neither actually had one. This Mary was often called Polly and that is the title of a book that Murray Killman wrote about her. That book is free online by the way.

If I get some more from Canada I will post it here in case anyone else is interested.

Thank you again.
aitch2o

Postby JMcK » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:48 pm

27th March 1783
by licence.
Captain Collin Campbell Esq.
JMcK

Postby Amazinggrace » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi,scots christened Mary very often got called Polly. My grandmothers sister,my mothers auntie Polly
was actually Mary.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby aitch2o » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:17 pm

Just to let you all know where I have got to. I emailed a couple of genealogical centres in Montreal and Quebec and requested a professional search. I have had no reply so maybe they cannot decide how much to charge or my emails have not got to the correct person or the correct person is on holiday. If I get a response I will let people know.

I wonder why Marys get nicknamed Polly. I wonder if there is a tale to be told about it.
aitch2o

Previous

Return to General research queries