Moderator Control Panel ]

Who is my Agnes Graham born c1800 Scotland

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Who is my Agnes Graham born c1800 Scotland

Postby tubbas » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:48 pm

Agnes Graham married Frederick Vaughan 9th June 1825 at St Nicholas, Brighton, Sussex. In the 1841 census she is living at Wellington Place, Brighton with her daughter Harriett and is shown as being born in Scotland.
She is buried on 31st January 1853 aged 53yrs at Brighton, having died in the Brighton Workhouse. Whilst she was in the workhouse for the 1851 census, the page with the surnames from T to Z (the names being recorded in alphabetical order) have been either badly damaged or are missing and do not appear anywhere which means that I am unable to tell where in Scotland that she was born.
Unfortunately, there are quite a few Agnes Graham's born in Scotland within the period of 2 years either side of 1800. If any one knows which one of these would be my Agnes or of any which would definitely not be my Agnes, I would appreciate hearing from you.
Thank you for any assistance that you can give. :?:
tubbas

Re: Who is my Agnes Graham born c1800 Scotland

Postby Amazinggrace » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:30 pm

hi Tubbas,
Yes there are 14 Agnes Graham's in the relevant time frame.Without anything else to go on, not sure how you work out which one is yours. I wonder how she came to be in Brighton? It's a long way from Scotland.
Good Luck
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby Artognou » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:11 am

Hi Tubbas,

It's a bit of a long shot, but have you tried to see if there might possibly be any of her family who also moved to the area?
It has worked for me before with a sister of one of my more distant great grandmothers who moved from the deepest, darkest reaches of Devon all the way to London in the early 1800s.

Alex.
Artognou

Postby tubbas » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:05 pm

Firstly thank you to Amazinggrace and Artognou for your replies. My further findings so far are as follows:-
In the 1841 census, Agnes is described as a Nurse. Besides her daughter there is a George Pressey aged 75 (not born in Sussex) and Emma Pressey aged 85 (born in Sussex) living at the property. Neither of these seem to be related to Agnes, so it maybe that Agnes was nursing one or both of them. Emma died in 1843 and George is living in Spring Street in the 1851 census with his daughter and son in law. He shows his place of birth as Salisbury, Wiltshire further indicating that he is not related to Agnes.
I am now looking at the other Graham's in Brighton to see if there could have been a relative in Brighton that might have been the reason for moving to Brighton. I will post the results of my findings related to that search.
tubbas

Postby mouthfulofbees » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:46 pm

This will take some effort, but it's a good way to break through a brick wall like yours.
Start with the most likely Agnes Graham and research her. Try to find her in the census, birth records, marriage records, etc. Work on it as much as you need to in order to rule her out. Then move to the next one. You can probably delete at least half or more of the possibilities this way and then really concentrate on the rest for more in-depth research. Good luck!
mouthfulofbees

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:02 am

I'm going to sound like a wet blanket but there are 2 problems here. One is getting enough information about the Agnes in Brighton to recognise her if you saw her Scottish records. (One "obvious" suggestion is workhouse records - unfortunately the Workhouses site indicates that no inmate records survive for Brighton from this era.)

The other is that the coverage of births and baptisms for Scotland is not as good as that for England - too many non-establishment churches have not submitted their registers to any Archives. So Agnes' baptism might not be recorded anywhere accessible.

And just to put the tin lid on it, as the saying goes, Agnes can be written as Ann in Scotland.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:39 am

Marriage was by banns. Both were single, and both signed.
Witnessed by George Potter and Mary Vaughan.
If the relevant surnames are missing in the 1851 census, and no records for the period survive, how can you be totally sure that Agnes was in the workhouse then? Other than her dying there later.
ianbee

Postby tubbas » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:23 pm

Thank you to mouthfulofbees and AdrianB38 for your replies.
I have been in touch with the county records office and they have informed me that no records for the Brighton Workhouse have survived for the period that I am interested in, so that is another dead end for me.
I have looked at the census for 1841 and there is only one other household with Graham's in it that may possibly be related to Agnes. At Hanover Crescent there is Alexander Graham aged 54 not born in Sussex and Martha Graham aged 74 also not born in Sussex. Both are shown as being independent. It maybe that Martha is Alexander's mother. It does not say that they were born in Scotland, but that box is not always completed correctly on the census form. Martha dies at Hanover Crescent and is buried on 7th July 1845 aged 78. Alexander Graham dies and is buried 25th November 1856 at Wivelsfield aged 69. I have looked at the 1851 census and have been unable to trace Alexander anywhere.
I will continue the long task of trolling through any possiblities to either rule them out or leave them in a smaller group of still possibles.
Thanks again for your help.
tubbas
tubbas

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:27 pm

Just to muddy the waters a bit more,I have a lot of scottish Agnes's on both sides of my tree and they were all christened Agnes but known as Nancy!!!!
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby tubbas » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:38 pm

Thank you ianbee for your response.
Without the workhouse records I cannot be 100% sure that she was in the Brighton Workhouse when the 1851 census was taken, but as the relevant page is missing and I have not been able to trace her anywhere else and that she died there in 1853; I think it is reasonable to believe that she was there at that time.
tubbas
tubbas

Next

Return to General research queries