Moderator Control Panel ]

Who is my Agnes Graham born c1800 Scotland

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Who is my Agnes Graham born c1800 Scotland

Postby ianbee » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:19 pm

Can't see anything on her in Brighton at all, other than what you have.
Index of family trees on ancestry show some have Frederick Vaughan dying in 1852? But that was a sixteen year old.

Could this be him?
Frederick Vaughan; Brighton; 30
Date: 25 Dec 1833
Description: Ascites; deceased
Creator(s): National Health Service - Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton, c 1910, formerly Sussex County Hospital, Brighton, 1828-c 1910
Repository: East Sussex Record Office
ESRO reference: HB 35/1/1833-842

HB 35/1 is Journal of Patients admitted June 1828 to Dec 1837

Burial of a Frederic Vaughan, 10 January 1834, St Nicholas Brighton
Abode Bond St
age 29

But is this the right Frederick Vaughan?
Was Harriet the only child?
A Harriet Patrick Vaughan, baptized in 1832 in Westminster, parents Frederick + Agnes. But born 1827? Haven't seen it.
Ian
ianbee

Re: Who is my Agnes Graham born c1800 Scotland

Postby tubbas » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Thank you ianbee.
This is indeed Frederick Vaughan buried 1834, the late husband of my Agnes Graham.
I am not sure if Harriet Vaughan baptism in Hanover Square in 1832 is my Harriet or not. I have never been able to find her baptism in Sussex, so this could be the reason why. There is some room for doubt as on her marriage certficate she gives her fathers occupation as coachman whereas the baptism has him as poulterer, but then as he died when she was still young she may not have known what his occupation was. When dates of birth are not shown in the register, we can not be sure how old they were at the time of the baptism. In Scotland, I believe it is common practice to give a child the middle name of either the wifes maiden name or that of a grandparent.
I will investigate this to see if there are any possibilities there to identify her parents.
Thanks again,
tubbas
tubbas

Previous

Return to General research queries