Moderator Control Panel ]

Republic of Ireland birth certificates

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Republic of Ireland birth certificates

Postby Jenaheldd » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:59 pm

Has anyone every applied for a 'photocopy' of a birth that occurred in the ROI? All I want to do is check the actual birth date is correct.

The text on the FMP site says:
Government (civil) registration of births in Ireland began in 1864. The index to civil registration is available on Findmypast. The full records reside in General Register Office. You can order photocopies here, or you can order official certificates here for a fee. To order a certificate you will need the registration year/quarter, registration district and volume and page number provided in the transcript.

From the 'order photocopies here' link, I've got an application form and its only €4 for the copy, but I don't know if I'd get a photocopy of the actual certificate or just the index/register.......
Jenaheldd

Re: Republic of Ireland birth certificates

Postby AntonyM » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:36 pm

You will get a copy of the register entry .... exactly what you would get on a certificate, just not certified so no good for legal purposes but fine for research
AntonyM

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:37 pm

I worry that that is not the current story. You may have summarised to your own circumstances but the current situation is that all images of birth certificates 1863-1915 for ALL of Ireland are available for FREE on https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Certificates, note, not indexes. (The indexes are, I suppose there for after 1915 - I've never looked)

Note that if you need a certified copy then it's back to snail mail, but I didn't think that is what you were after.

If you need one for after 1915 then you may be able to order using their site???

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:39 pm

From 1864 not from 1863 - stupid boy, Pike.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Jenaheldd » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:21 pm

The one I'm after is from 1928. I've found the entry in the index & the location and registration quarter are spot on, but because the year is earlier than expected, finding the actual birth date is the only way to confirm this is the correct person....I think.
Jenaheldd

Postby shanew147 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:31 pm

you can use the references from the FamilySearch/FMP/Ancestry index (year/quarter/reg. district / volume/page) to order a research cert costing €4 - see option 1 a on this page.
shanew147

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:45 pm

Jenaheldd wrote:The one I'm after is from 1928. ...

Wouldn't it be just that! (Am I allowed to say it's Murphy's Law?)
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Jenaheldd » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:42 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:
Jenaheldd wrote:The one I'm after is from 1928. ...

Wouldn't it be just that! (Am I allowed to say it's Murphy's Law?)

My thoughts exactly Adrian! :D
Jenaheldd

Postby Jenaheldd » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:53 am

I ended up ordering the actual certificate - which is hopefully the right one - because it could be done online.

More expensive, but the €4 photocopy option could only be done by post (I'm too impatient) or by fax. Don't have a fax but I could have got round this but I really didn't fancy writing my full name and address along with credit card details including the security number on the form and faxing it off to who knows where. You can't be too careful these days...!
Jenaheldd

Return to General research queries