Moderator Control Panel ]

John Matthews b 1865 Aston

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: John Matthews b 1865 Aston

Postby Soozb » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:35 am

The information I have received is believed to be correct. My father understands that he was told that John was an orphan we do not know if he had brothers or sisters and were told that he did go to a blue coat school although I cannot find any confirmation of this. He married Bertha Harrison and lived in the Aston district. He was a shoeing smith but also made chains for ships in WW1. He died in 1920. On his marriage certificate his father is named as Charles but that suggests that he was not an orphan. I cannot trace anymore information on his father except that he was an excavator at the time of Johns marriage and I cannot find details of Johns birth which may have been 1866 nor or his life before 1881 and no details of his mother. Please could someone advise where to get further information or of a genealogist who might be able to help. John died before my father was born and my grandfather was only young when John(my great grandfather) his father died. Neither my grandfather or my great aunt Evelyn (grandads sister) talked a lot about their parents. So I would appreciate any further information or help that can be offered.
Soozb

Postby Soozb » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:18 am

I agree with the previous posts and John Matthews was married to Bertha and was a shoeing smith. I cannot find any details or information on him at a blue coat school and his father was named on his marriage certificate (Charles Matthews) it would not fit with him being an orphan. I cannot find any trace of his mother’s name or birth certicate although it appears he may have been born in 1866. His father’s occupation on the marriage certificate was excavator but that is the only information I have. I cannot find out if he had any siblings as he died when my grandfather was 14 (in 1920 - John was his father) we are unaware of any other family. Please can someone advise how to get further information or recommend a geneologist.
Soozb

Postby Mick Loney » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:02 am

Soozb,
Sad to say you cannot take on trust that his father was Charles, even if his marriage certificate says so.
1. People stretched the truth, to hide unfortunate events.e.g. Illegitimacy.
2. People unwittingly put down wrong information.

I have a Miller ancestor, who said his father Stanley was adamant that his full name was Stanley Parkin Miller. No such person existed, but there was a Stanley Parkin, illegitimate son of Mary Parkin, who went on to marry John Miller, so Stanley adapted his name to that of his step-father.

The point I’m making, is that you shouldn’t discard likely candidates, just because their father wasn’t Charles.
Mick Loney

Postby sdup26 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:33 pm

I agree with Mick. A father's name on a marriage certificate was usually right, but could also be an invention to avoid the embarrassment of admitting illegitimacy, so treat it cautiously.

Have you used the website www.dustydocs.com ? If not, it's worth a look, as several sources will come up that you might not have tried. Choose Warwickshire, then enter Aston in 'Town or Parish.'
As to genealogists, they often advertise in the back of family history magazines, or try googling 'Genealogists in Warwickshire.'
sdup26

Postby Soozb » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:35 pm

Thank you both for your comments. I have not tried dusty docs website but I am grateful for this info and will give it a go. I have tried censuses for Charles Matthews with John as other person and cannot find them living together at any time. Not being able to trace John before he was with Bertha is just a complete mystery. I had wondered if he was born in the workhouse but although there is a John Matthews aged 14 at about the right date we have no way of knowing if it was him and there aren’t any other family members in the workhouse. Again the family story suggests that John was taken in by a rich gentlemen but he was so naughty he was returned to the blue coat school and nott adopted. Thanks once again for your help and I will keep trying.
Soozb

Previous

Return to General research queries