Moderator Control Panel ]

Irish Catholic Marriage Certificates

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Irish Catholic Marriage Certificates

Postby Vondick » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:15 pm

Is it possible to order a certificate for a Dublin marriage in 1834? I can't seem to find out how to do it. Advice would be appreciated - thank you!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum.
Yvonne Hensman
Vondick

Re: Irish Catholic Marriage Certificates

Postby Sylcec » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:38 am

No! Civil Registration in Ireland only started in 1864. Have you found the marriage you want indexed anywhere? Roman Catholic parish registers have now been digitised by the National Library of Ireland and are freely available. See: http://registers.nli.ie/ You need to know the parish.
Sylcec

Postby shanew147 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:34 am

or 1845 if it was a non-Catholic marriage (Church of Ireland, Presbyterian, Registry Office etc...)

Records for many of the Dublin City Catholic and Church of Ireland parishes are available on the free IrishGenealogy website , the website also includes records for a small number of South County Dublin Catholic parishes.
shanew147

Postby Vondick » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:31 pm

Yes, I've found the marriage in the index and a newspaper announcement. But Lewis Kelly ( who was Lewis Vidol Kelly) was married to Charlotte Gifford in 1794 in Exeter. They went back to his home in Kildare shortly afterwards. He died in Dublin in 1837 and Charlotte died in Wales in several years later. I am attempting to find out if they divorced or was this a bigamous marriage?

Yvonne Hensman
Vondick

Postby carobradford » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:02 pm

At that time, a divorce would have required a private Act of Parliament. These are listed at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/changes/c ... es/private, but I doubt very much if your couple are there. Bigamy was by no means uncommon, but it would be very strange for a bigamous marriage to be announced in the newspapers! Are you sure you it was the same chap?
carobradford

Postby Vondick » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:54 pm

Yes, I'm sure as the newspaper announcement names him as Lewis Vidol Kelly and that is definitely our man. I was hoping a marriage certificate would show me his marital status at the time he "married" Anne Murphy, e.g widower, divorcee. Looks like we'll never know. Many thanks for your replys though.

Yvonne Hensman
Vondick

Postby Sylcec » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:54 pm

A marriage in England in 1794 would need to have been conducted in the Church of England to be valid. If Lewis married again in the Roman Catholic Church in Dublin, I'm wondering if the RCs wouldn't have recognised the C of E marriage as valid? Have you found the Dublin church record, as that would probably show his status (or at least what Lewis said was his condition!) ?
Sylcec

Postby shanew147 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:43 am

The usual format for Catholic Marriage register entry that timeframe would not include any status - just date of marriage, names of the bride and groom, names of witnesses and possibly a place of residence, and the name of the parish priest..

p.s. can you post the other details from the article you found - e.g. name of the bride etc..
Last edited by shanew147 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
shanew147

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:45 am

If I look at the data on FindMyPast, the 1834 marriage is in the RC marriages. The image is accessible there or it will also be on the National Library of Ireland site. The data therein is no more than a single line of names, date and witnesses - no status. What's also on FMP is an image of an index entry to a marriage licence issued by the Diocese of Dublin - the Church of Ireland diocese. That licence would have been burnt in 1922.

I'm no expert in Irish records but this appears to look like there was a Church of Ireland ceremony with a marriage licence followed by a Catholic ceremony as well. If you throw in the newspaper announcement, which I haven't seen, then it's virtually inconceivable that this would be a bigamous marriage, announced to the world so much!

I'm curious why you're even contemplating the possibility.... Something like 2/3 or more of the Church of Ireland records were destroyed in 1922 while Catholic records are notoriously hard to read and index - and I believe that they weren't that interested in the RC church in keeping burial records anyway. So any failure to find a death for the first wife won't mean anything, I suggest.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:59 am

OK - sorry I see why you're wondering about bigamy if you have a death for his first wife later.

But then I would ask - how certain are you that these are the same people? Even if that newspaper announcement has his middle name, it wouldn't be the first time that an unusual name repeats in the family. Or how certain are you that the later death is his first wife?

Given the visibility of that Dublin marriage, deliberate bigamy still seems implausible. But if they are all the same people (and I've not seen the newspaper announcement to know whether it's got the middle name - the licence hasn't) then it might be that his first wife did a runner years before and Lewis genuinely thought her dead.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Next

Return to General research queries