Moderator Control Panel ]

WDYTYA? 2017 celebrities

Discuss the 14th series of the award-winning television programme, which will feature Charles Dance, Clare Balding, Fearne Cotton and more

WDYTYA? 2017 celebrities

Postby Rosemary Collins » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:50 am

Hello everyone!

As you might have seen on our website, the new series of Who Do You Think You Are? will start on 6 July (http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine. ... s-revealed). The ten celebrities featured in this series are:

• Charles Dance
• Craig Revel Horwood
• Clare Balding
• Adil Ray
• Emma Willis
• Lisa Hammond
• Noel Clarke
• Lulu
• Fearne Cotton
• Ruby Wax

What are you hoping for in this series? Which episodes are you most looking forward to? Let us know your thoughts!
Rosemary Collins
Staff Writer
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Re: WDYTYA? 2017 celebrities

Postby junkers » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:05 pm

I hope there is less of 'here is a family tree' just like that and how to find the information for those who are new and less crying. I am looking forward to the episode on Lulu.
junkers

Postby KayFarndon » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:16 pm

Some of the celebrities are well known and their lives already documented, so hopefully some surprises as they go back in time, which will stun the celebrity and the viewer.

I would like the dates to be added when they show the family trees, just so we can get the descendants into a time perspective and see how far back they go.

One thing which is never remarked upon is how the celebrity and an ancestor often feature each other and photos show this and yet it is never mentioned.

I know that I will enjoy the series and hope it continues into the future.
KayFarndon

Postby pete25 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:30 pm

Stopped watching a long time ago.
It's not like it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby JaneyH » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:34 pm

From my perspective I'd like to see a little bit more about the actual research process. Which records? Where from? How did you find them?

JaneyH

Postby WarksAncestors » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:35 am

I do not think that WDYTYA is very helpful for serious family historians or genealogists, it has been just an entertainment show for years but saying that i do watch occasionally if the person concerned interests me. I suppose after 20 years of researching it becomes difficult to find something new to surprise me with!
Researching Cooke,Brant,Agar,Clarke,Morris,Cufflin,Battersby,Davie,Broadhurst,Barlow and more in Leicestershire
WarksAncestors

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:50 am

It's not supposed to be an instructional program. It is, and always has been, an entertainment program. The only exception to that was the first series, where there was a 5m section after the program proper where a bored Adrian Chiles interviewed that week's expert about the techniques used that week. No surprise that it didn't continue.

What has to be borne in mind, is that this was not the first attempt at a family history program. The others sank without trace. This hit a winning formula of a hook to draw people in (the celebrity) and the meat to keep them there. And that "meat" actually isn't family history - it's the social history on view because the general viewer can see that this is how their relatives might have lived.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby pete25 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:53 am

It's celebs who are more than likely not interested in family history, and if they are, could well afford to pay to have their research done for them.
And here's us buying magazines, certificates and much more to help us with our research...I've spent hundreds!
I think the show should now feature 'non celebs'
Makes me so angry that it's all about celebs these shows.

pete25

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:15 am

No, it's all about getting the audience.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby phsvm » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:59 am

So Pete25 I've assume you've signed up the for excellent FREE course being run by Strathclyde University which started this week.

You may think it's too basic for you - obviously a very experienced researcher having spent so much money on magazines - but none of us know it all and we can always pick up little gems to help us with our research. Better till it's FREE!
phsvm

Next

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2017